Navigating the world of Restricted License

Posted
by NurseVE NurseVE, ADN, LVN, RN (New) New Nurse

Specializes in Cardiac/StepDown/Renal/EMR Pedi/Core Measures. Has 14 years experience.

Navigating in the world of a restricted license is proving to be more difficult then expected. I say this because I’ve worked alongside plenty of TPAPN nurses for years with no problem. Now that I’m on this side, it’s very disheartening. You do the work, make the changes, get your license reinstated just to find shunning from every angle. HR department puts a stop to any hiring. They have no clue how we as nurses run our floors. But they have the say so. Your already restricted in the areas you can practice. As an RN the very nature of our license is independent as with most positions we don’t have an overseer. I feel like I was just released from prison with a criminal record. At least this is the treatment. So many good experienced nurses are falling to the wayside stopped in our tracks. Why even give us a license?  In my case , 100% of employers “can’t accommodate your restrictions “. HCA, Ascension, Baylor Scott and White, Methodists.. I could keep going. Four job offers snuffed from me. I live in Austin, Tx and have already run out of places to seek employment. Mind you, my offense was in 2014. Yes, that long ago. I’m also in Recovery Trek not TPAPN. Not as stringent. There’s a shortage everywhere I’m fully vaccinated and ready to work wherever.  I have been a nurse since 2008. We nurse people back to help everyday, we show them compassion and understanding yet we lack that within our own community. The message being conveyed is we don’t matter. Thank you for your work but your damaged goods now. They have every reason not to hire us but no incentives to hire us. What are we to do? Who is going to reach out a hand? Helpless and hopeless.

Edited by NurseVE
Update

kbrn2002, ADN, RN

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis. Has 20 years experience. 3,703 Posts

If you are working with a license that restricts your ability to administer controlled meds that would indeed make finding hospital or even LTC employment difficult as the nature of the job often requires giving patients controlled meds. 

If this is the main barrier to you finding a job expand your search to include nursing positions where med administration isn't required or at least administration of controlled meds is not. 

For instance clinic nursing, while I have never worked in that setting I don't think clinic nurses usually administer meds.  Also look into dialysis nursing, it's a fascinating field that like other areas of nursing is almost always hiring. I work in outpatient dialysis which should be restriction friendly, we give zero controlled meds.  I don't know how much experience you have or in what settings but don't be afraid to at apply for case management or nursing management positions if you have any qualifications that would make that a good career path.  Telephone triage nursing has also greatly expanded since COVID and that has zero face to face patient contact so a restriction shouldn't be a barrier there.   Those are a few options I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.  Good luck in your Job Search!

 

Long Term Care will accept you.  My license in encumbered and most facilities say yes anyway.  My problem is I can't get into an RN program.  All the hospitals will refuse to let you take clinicals without a clean license.  I would have to find a school that just uses LTC for clinicals or try another state.  Anyone got an answer for that?

 

neuron

neuron

Has 5 years experience. 551 Posts

Have you tried dialysis, psych, LTAC, agency or home health? Either that or personal physicians office. 

hppygr8ful, ASN, RN, EMT-I

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life). Has 20 years experience. 4 Articles; 4,643 Posts

You don't say if your restrictions are permanent or temporary?

Tn Al 11

Tn Al 11

Specializes in Medical surgical, cardiac, ICU, CCU. Has 23 years experience. 1 Post

Narrative:   I’ve been a nurse for 22 yrs. 
My license is encumbered. Active/probation for one year. Restrictions are not substance abuse related. I failed to add a previous travel nurse job from eight years ago to my  application. After two years of employment. They caught it and terminated me.

I was so devastated. That’s like the first job I’ve ever been fired from and I’m in my fifties.

I took some time to travel, then family obligations, husband ’s job change. Kept me out of nursing for ten plus years. I was called in for two different interviews. When the NM learned of my absent from clinical for years. I was practically pushed out the door.

My circumstances have drastically changed,  now I need to earn a living for myself.

Im having a problem finding employment.

I would love a refresher however since my license is restricted. I’ve been turned down from the course.

Any advice is appreciated. 

NurseVE

NurseVE, ADN, LVN, RN

Specializes in Cardiac/StepDown/Renal/EMR Pedi/Core Measures. Has 14 years experience. 5 Posts

On 4/29/2022 at 10:18 AM, kbrn2002 said:

If you are working with a license that restricts your ability to administer controlled meds that would indeed make finding hospital or even LTC employment difficult as the nature of the job often requires giving patients controlled meds. 

If this is the main barrier to you finding a job expand your search to include nursing positions where med administration isn't required or at least administration of controlled meds is not. 

For instance clinic nursing, while I have never worked in that setting I don't think clinic nurses usually administer meds.  Also look into dialysis nursing, it's a fascinating field that like other areas of nursing is almost always hiring. I work in outpatient dialysis which should be restriction friendly, we give zero controlled meds.  I don't know how much experience you have or in what settings but don't be afraid to at apply for case management or nursing management positions if you have any qualifications that would make that a good career path.  Telephone triage nursing has also greatly expanded since COVID and that has zero face to face patient contact so a restriction shouldn't be a barrier there.   Those are a few options I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.  Good luck in your job search!

 

Yes. To all. The problem is I have to have direct patient care also so triage is a no go. Dialysis, at least the ones here require longer than 12 hour shifts. I can not work overtime or on call which also seems to be a hiccup. There aren’t very many clinics here so those positions are here and there. Very very restricting. It’s only for the first year, I have three in total but the restrictions ease up after year one. Thank you for the advice!

NurseVE

NurseVE, ADN, LVN, RN

Specializes in Cardiac/StepDown/Renal/EMR Pedi/Core Measures. Has 14 years experience. 5 Posts

On 5/6/2022 at 12:33 AM, hppygr8ful said:

You don't say if your restrictions are permanent or temporary?

It’s for three years however the restriction part is only for the first year. The remaining time is just monitoring.My “time” unfortunately doesn’t start until I actively start working though. 🫤

NurseVE

NurseVE, ADN, LVN, RN

Specializes in Cardiac/StepDown/Renal/EMR Pedi/Core Measures. Has 14 years experience. 5 Posts

On 4/20/2022 at 9:42 AM, NurseVE said:

Navigating in the world of a restricted license is proving to be more difficult then expected. I say this because I’ve worked alongside plenty of TPAPN nurses for years with no problem. Now that I’m on this side, it’s very disheartening. You do the work, make the changes, get your license reinstated just to find shunning from every angle. HR department puts a stop to any hiring. They have no clue how we as nurses run our floors. But they have the say so. Your already restricted in the areas you can practice. As an RN the very nature of our license is independent as with most positions we don’t have an overseer. I feel like I was just released from prison with a criminal record. At least this is the treatment. So many good experienced nurses are falling to the wayside stopped in our tracks. Why even give us a license?  In my case , 100% of employers so far, “Can’t accommodate the restrictions “; policies in place that won’t allow them to hire a restricted nurse. HCA, Ascension, Baylor Scott and White, Methodists.. I could keep going. Four job offers snuffed from me. I live in Austin, Tx and have already run out of places to seek employment. Mind you, my offense was in 2014. Yes, that long ago. I’m also in Recovery Trek not TPAPN. Not as stringent. There’s a shortage everywhere I’m fully vaccinated and ready to work wherever.  I have been a nurse since 2008. We nurse people back to help everyday, we show them compassion and understanding yet we lack that within our own community. The message being conveyed is we don’t matter. Thank you for your work but your damaged goods now. They have every reason not to hire us but no incentives to hire us. What are we to do? Who is going to reach out a hand? Helpless feeling right now but optimism is the key.

 

NurseVE

NurseVE, ADN, LVN, RN

Specializes in Cardiac/StepDown/Renal/EMR Pedi/Core Measures. Has 14 years experience. 5 Posts

On 5/7/2022 at 4:46 PM, Tn Al 11 said:

Narrative:   I’ve been a nurse for 22 yrs. 
My license is encumbered. Active/probation for one year. Restrictions are not substance abuse related. I failed to add a previous travel nurse job from eight years ago to my  application. After two years of employment. They caught it and terminated me.

I was so devastated. That’s like the first job I’ve ever been fired from and I’m in my fifties.

I took some time to travel, then family obligations, husband ’s job change. Kept me out of nursing for ten plus years. I was called in for two different interviews. When the NM learned of my absent from clinical for years. I was practically pushed out the door.

My circumstances have drastically changed,  now I need to earn a living for myself.

Im having a problem finding employment.

I would love a refresher however since my license is restricted. I’ve been turned down from the course.

Any advice is appreciated. 

I’m not sure how that works being gone so long. I think after a point they suggest re doing some school because so much has changed in that time frame. I had been out 4 years which is usually when they suggest a refresher. I would double check with the board and their recommendations. Exhaust all avenues. I’ve been driving all over Texas seeking a foot in the door. We are at their mercy. I have a feeling though it’s the time. But we are almost in the same boat. Sorry I can’t offer more advice. Never give up though, if it’s your dream you will find a way. I’ve looked into Aesthetics and Injectables. Doesn’t do much for my time (3 yrs) I need to complete so my license is Compact again but..

hppygr8ful, ASN, RN, EMT-I

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life). Has 20 years experience. 4 Articles; 4,643 Posts

11 hours ago, NurseVE said:

It’s for three years however the restriction part is only for the first year. The remaining time is just monitoring.My “time” unfortunately doesn’t start until I actively start working though. 🫤

Next really annoying question: You don't have to answer but is your Restriction based on Substance and are you in recovery." It's the only reason I know that you would be allowed to hold key's.

Hppy