Working LPN to RN

  1. I am in my first year for LPN and after my program I plan on working for a few years, and then advancing to an RN program. I was wondering schools will look at my grades from my LPN program or my experience as a nurse? And if i didn't get amazing grades will I be able to get in because of my working experience? I live in Canada but I would love to hear answers from all over the world to get a general idea. Thank you
  2. Visit a_w101 profile page

    About a_w101

    Joined: Oct '17; Posts: 2


  3. by   imhorsemackerel
    It depends on the program. I know one program by me will let you waive fundamentals if you got a 90 or better in your LPN program. The LPN-RN program I'm in now just wants proof your LPN license is active. Other than that, we had to take this TEAS test. 75% of whether or not you get accepted is based on that test. The other 25% is based on other classes like Intro to composition, A&P, etc.

    However, most schools by me still look at grades for prerequisite classes. So while someone works, they can take that Intro to Psych class. Admissions will look at those grades If the class was necessary in a community college's program. If someone was in an LPN program at a vocational/trade school, those grades (besides fundamentals) barely count because they are not "worth" college credit despite tuition being more than public schools.
  4. by   Scottishtape
    I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but the bridge program I did looked at my LPN GPA and we had to prove we'd worked at least 1 year full time as an LPN.

    Thing is, you're not going to get a good answer here because program requirements vary so widely from school to school.

    You really need to find the programs you're interested in and find out what *they* require.

    Good luck in your current program.
  5. by   a_w101
    Thank you, I guess I'll just have to look at each school separately and try from there