Jump to content
2019 Nursing Salary Survey Read more... ×

Looking for a Online MSN in Nursing Education

Online Learning   (808 Views 10 Comments)
by bsntiger bsntiger (New Member) New Member

457 Visitors; 9 Posts

advertisement

Hello, I am looking to get my MSN in Nursing Education at a preferably 100% online university. Does anyone have any good feedback about the university they went to?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DowntheRiver has 5 years experience and works as a Registered Nurse.

139 Likes; 13,427 Visitors; 823 Posts

I'm doing the UTA MSN Ed. program, four classes in so far. I did their RN to BSN program so I was already familiar with their format and formula. 

It is 100% online except for your two clinicals which any program will make you do. Those are in your last two semesters.  I feel the coursework is challenging but fair and will prepare me for the CNE exam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

140 Likes; 571 Visitors; 204 Posts

I earned my MSN-Education at CSU Dominguez Hills.  It took me 2 years full time.  As DowntheRiver said, the science/theory classes are online but you still have to complete clinicals.  I thought it was a great program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bosslady951 has 19 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a Family Nurse Practitioner Student.

1 Like; 313 Visitors; 4 Posts

I would definitely choose WGU for their online MSN education program. I did it for a few classes and transferred because I really wanted to get my FNP. The program was good overall and not too pricey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nurse2bESK has 7 years experience as a BSN and works as a Cardiac RN.

1,317 Visitors; 16 Posts

Those of you in online programs, do you feel like your assignments are direct, or do you get busy work to justify the fact that you aren't in a classroom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DowntheRiver has 5 years experience and works as a Registered Nurse.

139 Likes; 13,427 Visitors; 823 Posts

12 minutes ago, Nurse2bESK said:

Those of you in online programs, do you feel like your assignments are direct, or do you get busy work to justify the fact that you aren't in a classroom?

75% of the time I feel like I'm actually learning and the other 25% is just busywork to fulfill a writing word count requirement. In the class I'm in now, we have to create our own syllabi and rubrics, grade actual assignments according to rubrics, and provide constructive feedback on real student assignments. So I actually am learning stuff. The next 3 semesters I have the tough classes coming up - pathophysiology, assessment, and pharmacology - which will probably just be more difficult versions of their undergrad counterparts. Lots of studying and memorization but also absorption of the material for application. And I don't mind this, because in order to educate students on these topics, I certainly must have mastered them myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

nurse2033 works as a RN, paramedic.

10 Likes; 1 Article; 28,006 Visitors; 2,109 Posts

You get out what you put in. My degree is from Excelsior. I learned a ton and use it all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

140 Likes; 571 Visitors; 204 Posts

On 2/27/2019 at 2:14 PM, Nurse2bESK said:

Those of you in online programs, do you feel like your assignments are direct, or do you get busy work to justify the fact that you aren't in a classroom?

I didn't have any busy work.  The online classes consisted of meaningful group projects, professional dialogue, presentations, etc.  Like nurse2033 I learned a ton and I actually what I learned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

woodsyny has 37 years experience as a MSN and works as a College Professor, Pre-Surgical Testing Nurse.

3 Likes; 10,385 Visitors; 632 Posts

I did my MSN in education through Chamberlain. Great experience, and I now teach online for them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 Visitors; 1 Post

Drexel University. All online. Great program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×