Jump to content

Just got a job offer!

Critical   (446 Views 6 Comments)
by Morelaur288 Morelaur288 (Member)

166 Visitors; 15 Posts

advertisement

Hey everyone, 

I had an interview today for ICU at my dream hospital. I got a call 4 hours later saying I got the job! I am beyond excited but nervous since I am going to be starting as a new grad. Any tips or advice to prepare?! 

 

Thanks and I’m excited to be joining this community with all of you 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MaxAttack has 3 years experience and works as a ICU RN.

6,253 Visitors; 280 Posts

Congrats and welcome!

Are they putting you through a critical care course of any kind? I started ICU straight from school and the three month orientation/training they provided really helped me get comfortable.

I got the AACN Essentials of Critical Care Nursing. It was great to flip through and reference when I had questions.

Otherwise just be open, listen, ask questions, and don't be afraid to ask for help. It took me six months or so before I felt like I wasn't going to kill anyone but I got there eventually and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

166 Visitors; 15 Posts

On 3/15/2019 at 6:37 PM, MaxAttack said:

Congrats and welcome!

Are they putting you through a critical care course of any kind? I started ICU straight from school and the three month orientation/training they provided really helped me get comfortable.

I got the AACN Essentials of Critical Care Nursing. It was great to flip through and reference when I had questions.

Otherwise just be open, listen, ask questions, and don't be afraid to ask for help. It took me six months or so before I felt like I wasn't going to kill anyone but I got there eventually and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Good luck!

Thank you for the tips and advice! I will definitely have to check out that book. 

The hospital I will be at has a really good residency program and I will be paired with a preceptor and will be doing classroom time as well, so that is definitely reassuring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0.9%NormalSarah is a ADN, RN and works as a MICU RN.

342 Visitors; 78 Posts

Congrats to you! I am in the same boat, I start Monday. My new hospital does ECCO, essentials of critical care orientation. Did you find out if your place does something like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

166 Visitors; 15 Posts

1 hour ago, 0.9%NormalSarah said:

Congrats to you! I am in the same boat, I start Monday. My new hospital does ECCO, essentials of critical care orientation. Did you find out if your place does something like that?

Congratulations to you as well! That’s so exciting. I have never heard of ECCO but my hospital does a Versant residency program that is a year long. We start with preceptors and classroom time and then gradually get to go on our own. Is this your first nursing job? I wish you the best of luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0.9%NormalSarah is a ADN, RN and works as a MICU RN.

342 Visitors; 78 Posts

8 hours ago, Morelaur288 said:

Congratulations to you as well! That’s so exciting. I have never heard of ECCO but my hospital does a Versant residency program that is a year long. We start with preceptors and classroom time and then gradually get to go on our own. Is this your first nursing job? I wish you the best of luck! 

Wow that sounds like a really great training program! Yes this is my first nursing job, I was so over the moon for landing my first choice job at a teaching hospital. Well good luck to you, too! I’ll look forward to “seeing” you around AN in the critical care discussions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement
×