1. Hello,
    My name is Pam and I have decided to become a nurse. The problem I am having is that I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice and I am currently working as a Supervisor of a Juvenile Tracking Program. With this, I am unable to receive financial aid, only loans. I have heard that I could receive nursing grants but I don't know the right way to go about doing that. I want to be able to stop working and go to school full time. It will not take long because all of my previous credits transferred and so I will be able to go directly into biology, anantomy and nursing classes. I need to know how to obtain financial assistance to enroll in classes without worrying about whether or not my classes will be paid for.
    Can someone please help me.
    Thanks a bunch,
  2. Visit pwashin profile page

    About pwashin

    Joined: Mar '04; Posts: 1


  3. by   LesJenRN
    Pam, Try checking with whatever school you are planning to attend. If I remember correctly, I took out a student loan the first year....then after being broke for a year I was eligable for Grants....
    Have you considered Forensic Nursing??? With your background..... It is a specialty that is now becoming more and more popular.
    Good luck!
  4. by   missmercy
    Hey Pam!
    Check into some of the area hospitals too. Our facility pays tuition for Rns in nursing school as long as they committ to work for us after they pass boards -- they are also required to work a few shifts a pay period while they are in nsg. school. They seem to think it ia a good deal -- does anyone else's facility do something like that?!
  5. by   Picksomething
    Pam, I agree with Missmercy. Try out some of the hospitals. Here in Texas there are some hospitals that will pay for your schooling, of course with the agreement to work for them etc. etc. etc. I hope you pursue your decision to become a nurse. I have been a nurse for over 20 years now and still love it! There are so many areas to choose from, and many hospitals are doing self-scheduling. Good luck!
  6. by   manna
    Quote from LesJenRN
    I took out a student loan the first year....then after being broke for a year I was eligable for Grants....
    If you have a previous degree, you're not eligible for Pell Grants, no matter what your income is.

    Check with local hospitals, as others suggested. Check into private scholarships, there are lots of great sites on the web to search for those. Here the state government even offers a scholarship (in return for a work commitment within the state), so maybe yours may have something similar.

    Good luck!