New Member Seeking Advice

  1. Hello everyone. I'm Alexandra and I'm now attending Barry University to complete my BSN. I went to Atlanta Georgia last week and I fell in love with it. I want to move there after graduate. My question is: Is the RN license different from state to state? If so should I take the NCLEX exam in Miami or in Georgia?
  2. Visit brownsuga1184 profile page

    About brownsuga1184

    Joined: Jun '04; Posts: 16


  3. by   bluesky
    Hi- Here is what I know...

    OK. Some key points. There are 2 things you have to do to be able to sit for the NCLEX; apply for a license with a state board of nursing ($150-$200), receive authorization from that board to take the NCLEX, and then pay Pearson Vue (the NCLEX test administrators) $200. The NCLEX is the same no matter where you take it. As long as a state board of nursing approves you to take the test ("getting your ATT"), you may schedule to take the NCLEX anywhere you please through Pearson Vue (TX, CA, ME, wherever). Your nursing license, however will be issued in the state where you applied for a license however. NOW, a group of states have grouped together into a consortium so that your license from one of the member states is honored in all the other states. You will have to look up the states and see if FL and GA are in the consortium. Worst case scenario, however, if you apply for and get your license from FL, when you move to GA, all you will have to do is fill out paperwork, pay a fee (usually between $150-$200) and wait a while for GA to issue you a license of their own. You will not have to retest. It's just an inconvenience to have to wait and pay the extra cash is all... Now, once again, if both FL and GA are in the consortium, you will not need to pay for a new license!

    If you want to move pronto pronto however, I suggest you contact the GA state BON and A) ask them if they are in the consortium B) have them send you their nursing license application so you can do everything in GA right off. You do not have to license or take the NCLEX in the state in which you went to school.

  4. by   rjflyn
    Actually that is not quiet correct about the compact license. There is a group of states the have 'signed' the nurse compact. It is good if you are a travel nurse or live in one state and practice in another. For example Iowa and Nebraska, one could live in Iowa and work in Omaha, and only have to have an Iowa license to work there. It involves "residency" and "home state". You can get the details here-