INS authorization for clinicals

  1. Hi to Everyone,

    First, I want to wish all of you a wonderful holiday season.

    I am a French international student at Florida International University in Miami. I started the BS RN program in August 2003. January will be my last semester before graduation. However, at the end of december I found out that International students need an authorization to do their clinicals, which is part of the nursing curriculum. I have been doing my previous clinicals without any authorization.
    The problem that I am encountering is that the counselor will not allow me to take my next clinicals because I am waiting for the reinstatement of my I20. This will obviously delay my graduation and my becoming a registered nurse. I have a job offer for April. Do anyone have any suggestion on what I need to do?

    Thank you for your help.
  2. Visit sweetp profile page

    About sweetp

    Joined: Dec '04; Posts: 14; Likes: 1


  3. by   kellyo
    Contact your BON in Florida. They may be able to help you out somehow...
  4. by   suzanne4
    This is the first time that I have ever heard of this. You need authorization to work, but if you are on a student visa, you are just doing training and not getting paid. Doesn't make sense to me as you aren't earnig a salary.

    There are many programs where the student isn't even in the country legally and they have no problem. And they are in nursing programs and in NY.

    Have you contacted your immigration attorney who handled your original file? I would recommned doing that as soon as possible.
  5. by   sweetp
    Hi Kelly and Suzanne,

    Thank you so much for your answer and advice. One question for Kelly, what does it mean BON? I spoke with another international student who will be graduating from Miami Dade Community College. In that college, the international students in nursing DO NOT NEED AUTHORIZATION to due their clinicals. I am so confused at this point. I will try to get in touch with an attorney. Thank you so much for your answers and will keep you in touch about the outcome.

    Thanks a thousand time.
  6. by   URO-RN
  7. by   sweetp
    Quote from Jo Anne
    Salut Joe Anne,

    Tu es francaise? Es tu une infirmiere egalement?
  8. by   suzanne4
    BON stands for Board of Nursing. You are definitely getting wrong information from your school. It is not the BON that would give you the info, but actually INS.

    If you have an F-1 visa, then you permitted to undertake what ever is needed for your training for your program.
  9. by   sweetp
    Thank you Suzanne,

    I got in touch with the Dean of Nursing. They are looking into it.
    I strongly believe that they are misinformed about what international students can or can not do. The authorization for CPT (curriculum practical training) is given by the University not the INS. Authorization for OPT (Optional Practical Training) is given by the INS. Either way an employer is needed. What they don't seem to understand is that I don't have an employer. This situation is extremely frustrating to me. I don't know where it is going...
    Anyway, thanks I greatly appreciate your support and your advice.