I know this is for nurses but I need some info.

  1. Im going to school to be a radiographer . I was thinking about later changing to become a CRNA . But Im not sure yet . I think I would rather become a radiologist. Can I get some info on how Long it will take after 2 years I complete 2 years of school to be a radiographer ? What to expect and anything else important about being a radiologist . Thank you .

    Sent from my iPhone using allnurses.com
  2. Visit bryttanyw profile page

    About bryttanyw

    Joined: Jul '12; Posts: 3


  3. by   elkpark
    A radiologist is a physician -- you would have to complete college (a baccalaureate degree), four years of med school, and however many years a radiology residency is in order to become one.
  4. by   GitanoRN
    Welcome to the site....as I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors...Aloha~
  5. by   jadelpn
    Best of luck in your endevours!! And as someone pointed out, a radiologist is a specialty medical doctor. An x-ray technician is not. Be mindful of x-ray technician courses of study in for profit schools that will not allow you to practice as a tech once you finish their program. Be careful, and make sure that wherever you choose to go, it is accredited, and allows you to sit for the exam for licensing needed for you to be an x-ray tech in your state. Get help with this. Look at your state government website and see exactly what you need to be an x-ray tech. They sometimes even have a list of approved schools. I have a friend who went to a for profit school to be an ultrasound tech, and lo and behold, it was not accredidated, and she could not sit to be licensed, therefore can not practice. Use your guidance counselor, (even if you are out of school, your former guidance counselor) as the office can put you in the right direction. Also think about speaking with an HR person of a local hospital. They can furnish you with a job description that includes certifications needed, and answer any questions you may have.

    Becoming a doctor of radiology is a whole different thing. Undergrad, medical school, specialty, all excellent choices!! But again, needs a 4 year degree, medical school, internships, so we are talking somewhere around 7 years or so.

    CRNA is a specialty RN. Requires a 4 year BSN, I think (THINK) some clinical experience, then a specialty instruction of which I have no idea how long. Again be mindful of what the certifications are that are needed, and be wary of schools that say they can "ceritify" you in x amount of time without a BSN.

    Finally, to add a bit more to this, if you are not sure what direction you would like to go, but perhaps to a more technical course of study, maybe think about an EMT-B course, work at that and you can then move up to an advanced EMT then Paramedic. As a paramedic, you would be clinically doing all of the stuff that you might find interesting. And that would open doors for you to do a Paramedic to RN or even a Physican's Assistant.

    Lots to digest, and again best of luck to you!!
  6. by   GitanoRN
    Needless to say, you have received good information, keep us posted...Aloha~

Must Read Topics