Texas RN moving to Canada

  1. I am an RN here in Texas. I am also an international student in the US. After my OPT, i didnt find any employer to do visa sponsorship for me so i started graduate school -MSN clinical nurse specialist program. Now i have gotten PR in canada and thinking about moving to calgary. I have some questions though;

    I would like to know how long will it take to get licensed in calgary (i have a BSN)?
    What is the job situation like for RNs in calgary? keeping in mind i have only about a year of nursing experience.
    Will it be better to complete my MSN degree before moving or i should do it now?

    Your replies will be very much appreciated. Thanks
  2. Visit cuteypie profile page

    About cuteypie

    Joined: Apr '08; Posts: 10; Likes: 2


  3. by   Fiona59
    A degree is the minimum entry requirement for practice in Canada.

    Check out the AHS threads in the Canadian Forum. Nobody is recruiting off shore nurses with hiring preferences given to locals. While there isn't a freeze there are loads of underemployed nurses already in the system trying to get larger positions.

    I take it you are coming to Canada because you can't get permanent residence in the US.
  4. by   cuteypie
    Thanks Fiona59

    I do have my BSN here in the US and i was not able to get permanent residence in the US. I do have my permanent residence in canada though.