Jump to content

How I made $93,000 my first year of nursing

Career Article   (3,275 Views 26 Comments 601 Words)
by acc1223 acc1223, BSN, RN (New Member) New Member

acc1223 has 2 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a ICU nurse, BSN.

1 Article; 773 Visitors; 14 Posts

advertisement

The in's and out's of how I made almost $93,000 my first year You are reading page 2 of How I made $93,000 my first year of nursing. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

Silver_Rik has 1 years experience and works as a Mental Health Aide, SRNA.

1,697 Visitors; 54 Posts

This thread made me think of a compensation question.  Is overtime differential (time and a half) calculated on base pay before other differentials and bonuses, or after everything else is totaled?

I remember thinking how much I was going to make a pay period I worked a bunch of OT plus nighf/weekend shift differential plus bonus for coming in when they were short staffed, plus certain units (eg LTC-TBI) require additional certification and get extra money.  Then I looked at my paystub online and saw they took my base pay, added overtime, then added everything else.

Is the the correct way to do it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ThePrincessBride has 3 years experience.

1 Article; 55,388 Visitors; 2,225 Posts

21 minutes ago, Silver_Rik said:

This thread made me think of a compensation question.  Is overtime differential (time and a half) calculated on base pay before other differentials and bonuses, or after everything else is totaled?

I remember thinking how much I was going to make a pay period I worked a bunch of OT plus nighf/weekend shift differential plus bonus for coming in when they were short staffed, plus certain units (eg LTC-TBI) require additional certification and get extra money.  Then I looked at my paystub online and saw they took my base pay, added overtime, then added everything else.

Is the the correct way to do it?

 

So if you make 20 per hour, your overtime rate is 30. Then you would add differentials and bonus. But your OT base rate would be 1.5 times your normal rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leader25 has 35 years experience.

2 Followers; 4,316 Visitors; 701 Posts

Good for you but can you keep this up for 30+ years?I do not think so,I do not consider Texas pay great,but you did what many of us do,working the higher pay shifts,nights,weekends ,holidays.I hope you use the money wisely ,paying off debt,and investing  to lower your taxable base with a 403b,or 401k  if your employer has that option,age has a way of creeping up on all of us and that nice fully loaded car does not help pay bills or secure your future.I also suggest aflac and short term disability plan in addition to the one provided by job,long term disability insurance is an option  that will usually pay 60% of your salary if disabled longer than 60 days,but it does get expensive once you hit 50.

Enjoy some of it and save the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silver_Rik has 1 years experience and works as a Mental Health Aide, SRNA.

1,697 Visitors; 54 Posts

8 minutes ago, ThePrincessBride said:

So if you make 20 per hour, your overtime rate is 30. Then you would add differentials and bonus. But your OT base rate would be 1.5 times your normal rate.

Thanks. I figured that they had it right but wasn't sure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolf at the Door has 7 years experience and works as a Staff RN.

19,033 Visitors; 1,031 Posts

12 hours ago, Leader25 said:

Good for you but can you keep this up for 30+ years?I do not think so,I do not consider Texas pay great,but you did what many of us do,working the higher pay shifts,nights,weekends ,holidays.I hope you use the money wisely ,paying off debt,and investing  to lower your taxable base with a 403b,or 401k  if your employer has that option,age has a way of creeping up on all of us and that nice fully loaded car does not help pay bills or secure your future.I also suggest aflac and short term disability plan in addition to the one provided by job,long term disability insurance is an option  that will usually pay 60% of your salary if disabled longer than 60 days,but it does get expensive once you hit 50.

Enjoy some of it and save the rest.

I don’t think the poster intends to keep working like she does forever. She’s just sharing how a new nurse can roll in money.

a friend once worked in north Texas. She worked for a health system that sounds exactly like the OP. She was per diem 35 an hour did some nights and weekend for differential 42. She would get 10 bonus per hour. Then they would offer automatic OT 1.5 pay regardless if you have only work 12 hours. $78 an hour. Same incentive were offered to staff rns. 

texas pay is not the best or worst but u can find system that offer really good pay and benefits. . A new grad making 93k In Texas is far more impressive than anything in California. Not sure why CA RNs are posting due to you having a higher taxes, rent,or mortgage. CA nurses, Texas has no income tax.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

125 Visitors; 6 Posts

Where do you work? I have been looking at relocating to Texas once I finish nursing school. I have looked at Austin and Dallas, they seem to be fun places to live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolf at the Door has 7 years experience and works as a Staff RN.

19,033 Visitors; 1,031 Posts

4 hours ago, VCstudent said:

Where do you work? I have been looking at relocating to Texas once I finish nursing school. I have looked at Austin and Dallas, they seem to be fun places to live.

Dallas I’m guessing. At least that is where my friend was. Houston pays good. Austin does not, Toooo desirable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

222 Visitors; 5 Posts

HOW WERE YOU ABLE TO TRAVEL SO MUCH?! THAT'S AMAZING!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

222 Visitors; 5 Posts

No but really- did they actually give you that much time off every few months?  Is that a thing?!

Edited by Ms.PreReqs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

acc1223 has 2 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a ICU nurse, BSN.

1 Article; 773 Visitors; 14 Posts

It's me again, I live in Texas and when I started my rent was 550 a month. So for my region this is wicked great for a brand new nurse! If this gives anyone context, in California you can make a killing but the rent I heard is super high! I also paid off a significant amount of my debt and I know I cant keep this up forever so i started investing and my husband and I are going to start our own business soon! And hell yea your PTO adds up and my administration loves avoiding nurse burnout. At the very least I was given 15 days off in a row. My brother lives in Germany so I would work the first days of the pay period and the last last days of the next pay period take 72 hours of PTO and would have 22 days off at minimum. I would buy a 450 dollar round trip direct  flight to Germany (I planned my time off months in advance so I could get thr cheapest tickets) and hop on a plain right after work and sleep on my flight. It also helps avoiding jet lag Haha. Spend two weeks with my brother and his wife and come home. One time I actually got off the plane and slept for a while and went to work that night! Remember I also have no kids so I can do stuff like this on the cheap. 

Edited by acc1223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

acc1223 has 2 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a ICU nurse, BSN.

1 Article; 773 Visitors; 14 Posts

17 hours ago, VCstudent said:

Where do you work? I have been looking at relocating to Texas once I finish nursing school. I have looked at Austin and Dallas, they seem to be fun places to 

12 hours ago, Wolf at the Door said:

Dallas I’m guessing. At least that is where my friend was. Houston pays good. Austin does not, Toooo desirable 

Yes! If you are a brand new nurse nd wanting to come to Texas, I would recommend a big hospital in Dallas to get a massive amount of skills. You will be running almost very night but you will he thankful if you ever decide to go to a smaller hospital.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

acc1223 has 2 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a ICU nurse, BSN.

1 Article; 773 Visitors; 14 Posts

On 4/13/2019 at 4:40 PM, Silver_Rik said:

This thread made me think of a compensation question.  Is overtime differential (time and a half) calculated on base pay before other differentials and bonuses, or after everything else is totaled?

I remember thinking how much I was going to make a pay period I worked a bunch of OT plus nighf/weekend shift differential plus bonus for coming in when they were short staffed, plus certain units (eg LTC-TBI) require additional certification and get extra money.  Then I looked at my paystub online and saw they took my base pay, added overtime, then added everything else.

Is the the correct way to do it?

 

Honestly is still haven't figured this out. It seemed my rate differed each time. I think differential pay a role but idk I just know my OT payrate was always more than what i calculated. 

Edited by acc1223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×