Jump to content
2019 Nursing Salary Survey Read more... ×
TampaNursing TampaNursing (Member)

HELP New grad job dilemma

Nurses   (1,029 Views 14 Comments)
3 Likes; 1,909 Visitors; 136 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

I graduated from nursing school in December and applied at various hospitals. I have received a job offer at the first place I had been interviewed December 1st at a hospital that appears to be great with awesome pay BUT it is about 1 hour & 15 mins from where I live (house with finance) BUT just 15mins away from where my family lives. I figured it was a great opportunity and that I could just stay part time a week with family. Program starts feb 11th and health screening paperwork etc feb 5th. No other hospitals close to me were having nurse residency programs, the hospitals that were were about 45mins-1 hour away so I decided to just not bother with any where else. Also it's day shift! +weekends

Flash forward to this week I had received a super unexpected phone call to schedule a interview from a hospital 10 mins away from me was having a nurse residency program starting march! I went to the interview Monday and yesterday they gave me a verbal offer. They said HR will now continue the hiring process. The program would start march 4 and NIGHTS. I would love to work there being as it is so close to my house. It is a very small hospital but has many other locations vs my 1st job offer. I am terrified for what ever reason HR won't reach out to me or that the 2nd job offer will fall through and I will end up with nothing. 

What would you do? Stick with the 1st job offer and stay a year or so just for experience?

OR take a chance with this new informal job offer??

It would be nice working days they go by so quick though I'm anticipating it being more stressful. I have never worked nights and picture it making my life a bit floppy but figure I could adjust and may be a nicer pace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry for typos, I typed this up quick

* fiance 

I am super indecisive about what to do, stay with the secure offer or give it up and have some faith that the 2nd one will work out?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like a big gamble to wait on the second offer. There are quite a few threads where a nurse has received a “verbal offer” and everything fell through. No offer is truly an offer until it’s in writing.

plus it’s super convenient to have family nearby job 1. You don’t see that too often and people have to just commute or pay for additional housing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply! I am now thinking more I should just stay with offer #1 and be grateful. After at least a year or so of experience more doors will open up at various locations close to my house. The other hospital had thrown an unexpected life curve ball at me, but I think it is best right now to just dodge it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go with the first offer just because it's days instead of nights and I would not be able to handle nights. Some people feel the opposite of me though. If both offers were day shifts, I would go with second offer because I would want the closer place where I could stay in my own house. Other factors for me though would be which hospital would have a better working environment and supportive staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

I would wait for the second job. I love nights, love small hospitals, and have financial support that would get me through the longer wait. I would rather drive one hour to see my family when I want to as opposed to driving one hour to work when I have to.
Long commutes blow. I'd also figure that two offers as a new grad meant I wasn't in an impossible market ...so if job two fell through, there'd be a good chance at finding job three quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tampa Nurse The fact the first position is a day shift position was much more appealing to me. The ride would be lousy but I hated nights!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you should go with the first offer, only because the commute probably won't be so terrible since you'd be working days. I would be super concerned about second job offer falling through...

But if you start your first residency, find that the second residency pull through and you rather hate the commute despite the day shift schedule, take the second job. You wouldn't be the first RN to stop a residency early on, and you won't be the last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you interested in night shift? Ten minutes versus 1.15 hours is a big difference in commute times. Sometimes I think as nurses we take that "loyalty" syndrome too far. Sometimes we have to think about what is best for us. 

I have been in healthcare for about 30 years. It took me about 20 years to figure about that healthcare is a business; and as nurses, if we don't treat them like a business, you will be lost in the maze. 

It is not selfish to look out for YOUR best interest. I would wait until the second offer came through as a written offer, and if you still want the job I would put in my two-three weeks notice.  Good luck !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 7:28 PM, TampaNursing said:

I graduated from nursing school in December and applied at various hospitals. I have received a job offer at the first place I had been interviewed December 1st at a hospital that appears to be great with awesome pay BUT it is about 1 hour & 15 mins from where I live (house with finance) BUT just 15mins away from where my family lives. I figured it was a great opportunity and that I could just stay part time a week with family. Program starts feb 11th and health screening paperwork etc feb 5th. No other hospitals close to me were having nurse residency programs, the hospitals that were were about 45mins-1 hour away so I decided to just not bother with any where else. Also it's day shift! +weekends

Flash forward to this week I had received a super unexpected phone call to schedule a interview from a hospital 10 mins away from me was having a nurse residency program starting march! I went to the interview Monday and yesterday they gave me a verbal offer. They said HR will now continue the hiring process. The program would start march 4 and NIGHTS. I would love to work there being as it is so close to my house. It is a very small hospital but has many other locations vs my 1st job offer. I am terrified for what ever reason HR won't reach out to me or that the 2nd job offer will fall through and I will end up with nothing. 

What would you do? Stick with the 1st job offer and stay a year or so just for experience?

OR take a chance with this new informal job offer??

It would be nice working days they go by so quick though I'm anticipating it being more stressful. I have never worked nights and picture it making my life a bit floppy but figure I could adjust and may be a nicer pace. 

Is either hospital part of a large health care system, or is the first hospital likely to be purchased by (or purchase) other hospitals in the area.  Is the small hospital near you likely to go broke and be purchased by the hospital near your family?

I'd recommend going with the job you've already accepted to avoid burning bridges.  It sounds like you have the idea situation -- schedule your three 12s in a row and stay with your family.  You see your family, and you don't have a partner at home waiting for you to drag in after work and make dinner!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're really leaning toward the 2nd job offer, you can always try leveling with them.  Let them know you have a written job offer from another hospital, and unless hospital #2 can put theirs in writing, you will have to go with #1.

Otherwise, it sounds to me like the big dilemma is night shift vs commute.  Only you know what would be easier for you to handle.  Good luck, whatever you decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×