Working in the USA

  1. Hi there
    I`m a student nurse from the UK in my final year. I am hoping to work in the US when I graduate , is there is anyone who can advise me how to do this as after reading this site it all sounds a bit confusing!
    thanks !
  2. Visit Anne-M profile page

    About Anne-M

    Joined: Mar '01; Posts: 1


  3. by   wsiab
    I am not sure how to go about getting a license transferred from UK or whether you will have to retake licensing exam. I know in california, the BRN reviews your transcripts/ program curriculum on an individual basis, and will either allow you to take the licensing exam or inform you of any further courses/requirements that need to be met. If I remember correctly, the application process takes an additional 4-6 months depending on how long it takes for them to get the information they need from your school. I would recommend contacting the state boards of nursing for the areas you are interested in working in.

    [This message has been edited by wsiab (edited March 12, 2001).]
  4. by   KSEFLINK
    If you are interested in a certain city, email the human resources departments in the hospitals and they can help you with the legalities.You will need to take the NCLEX nursing exam, so that will be your first hurdle. If you are truly interested, get started now, so you can make the move when you get finished with school and there will not be as long as a wait.