here are some websites that might be of some help:
- potassium: an element of life - an article about potassium written by a nurse for nurses.
- thumbnail sketches of lab values, signs and symptoms of increased and decreased levels of the following electrolytes: sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium. also includes glucose, respiratory and metabolic acidosis and alkalosis, and arterial blood gas values.
- the home page of an interactive acid-base tutorial for medical students by professor alan grogono at tulane university, but there are things in it that are useful for nursing students. click on buttons throughout the presentation for more specific information. you might want to click on the "alphabetical index" at the left side to get a listing of the subjects covered on this site to save time. also, check out the "links" for more acid-base tutorial sites.
- the online edition of "acid-base physiology" by kerry brandis. there is a lot of information on acid-base balance here and includes information on respiratory and metabolic acidosis and alkalosis. there are short tutorials on the compensation, correction, assessment and prevention of each of these conditions.
- this is an abg and acid/base balance tutorial. you do not have to register to go through the tutorial.