We tell the student nurses to run for their lives."

  1. "Nurses may constitute the most dissatisfied professions in the United States today. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, slightly more than two-thirds of registered nurses (69.5 percent) reported being even "moderately satisfied" with their jobs. By contrast, 85 percent of workers in other industries and 90 percent of professional workers are satisfied with their jobs."

    http://www.afscme.org/una/sns06.htm

    -HBS

    *I had not seen this posted before. Very interesting.
    Last edit by hbscott on Jan 6, '04
    •  
  2. Visit hbscott profile page

    About hbscott

    Joined: Apr '03; Posts: 498; Likes: 12
    Radiology PACS & 3D Imaging

    113 Comments

  3. by   K O'Malley
    Hospital administration and management keep doing things the same old way, ignoring any input from their nursing staff. They just want to recruit, recruit, recruit new nurses, burn them out and start over with a new bunch. Never mind improving staffing and working conditions or rewarding experienced nurses for knowledge and hard work. Its a slap in the face to be making only $3.00/hr more than a new grad when you have 20+ years of experience.
    I steered all of my children away from nursing and I'm glad I did. With B.A degrees and only a few short years out of college their salaries have soared way ahead of mine. And they are all treated with respect on their jobs.
  4. by   weezieRN
    great story, should be posted on every nurse manager and administrations door or mail boxes, but I doubt it will mean much to them.
  5. by   hbscott
    Originally posted by weezieRN
    Great story, should be posted on every nurse manager and administrations door or mail boxes, but I doubt it will mean much to them.
    I wonder why that is? Is nursing forever "doomed" to this cyclical abuse as noted by the post noted below?

    "They just want to recruit, recruit, recruit new nurses, burn them out and start over with a new bunch."

    It is so very sad...


    -HBS
  6. by   Sheri257
    Let's put a little perspective on the numbers here.

    Nurse satisfaction is nearly 70 percent, which is still high, not low.

    I agree that the 15-20 percent difference between nurses and other professions/jobs is significant, but there are still many satisifed nurses out there, at least according to this data.

    Only 28 percent of the RNs are dissatisifed with their jobs. After reading this board, I would have expected the number of dissatisfied nurses to be 70 percent, not 28.

    If the number was closer to 50 percent, I think there would be more of a story here.
    Last edit by Sheri257 on Jan 5, '04
  7. by   hbscott
    Perspective on the numbers? I believe the study cited as nursing as having the worst job satisfaction for the professions sampled as noted below:

    By contrast, 85 percent of workers in other industries and 90 percent of professional workers are satisfied with their jobs.

    I don't think being cited as having the lowest sampled job satisfaction is a good thing?

    -HBS
  8. by   RN2B4ABBY
    This is very interesting but I am not running! I have read many horror stories about working conditions, staff members, nurse co-workers...but I am still not going anywhere. Nursing schools may be full, employers may choose to ignore what their nurses need and just re-fresh when ones burn out and leave and there may be a moderately high job dissatisfaction rate. When I think of being a nurse I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach that tells me I belong there. I am not going into this field because of pay, benefits or for what other people will think of me. I am going into this field because I want to make a difference. When employers don't care about their nurses they don't care about their patients. Well I care! If I make a patient smile and feel better then I can be satisfied. If my being there helps out at least one other nurse with the workload and stress then I will sleep that night. It is going to be tough and grueling and I will cry more than once and question what I am doing. I know there is so much out there that I can't even possibly imagine right now... but I know I belong there so bring it on!
  9. by   leobaby23
    I am a Nursing Student in The Houston area,
    I keep hearing all of these terrible things and it really gets me down. Have we all forgotten why we chose to become Nurses? Was it the pay? Or was it the Compassion we all share? Granted I know that patients arent always easy to deal with ( Let alone the family) but are we not there to make this transistion from sick to well, or from sick to death....more comfortable? I hope that I have this feeling when I get out of my clinicals and into the "real World" but I ask you....is it REALLY that bad?
  10. by   happystudent
    Originally posted by RN2B4ABBY
    This is very interesting but I am not running! I have read many horror stories about working conditions, staff members, nurse co-workers...but I am still not going anywhere. Nursing schools may be full, employers may choose to ignore what their nurses need and just re-fresh when ones burn out and leave and there may be a moderately high job dissatisfaction rate. When I think of being a nurse I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach that tells me I belong there. I am not going into this field because of pay, benefits or for what other people will think of me. I am going into this field because I want to make a difference. When employers don't care about their nurses they don't care about their patients. Well I care! If I make a patient smile and feel better then I can be satisfied. If my being there helps out at least one other nurse with the workload and stress then I will sleep that night. It is going to be tough and grueling and I will cry more than once and question what I am doing. I know there is so much out there that I can't even possibly imagine right now... but I know I belong there so bring it on!
    I agree.........

    Hbscott, I think it is unfair for you to say we should run from nursing because YOU feel nursing students soon to be RNs will be dissatisfied with our chosen fields. Insted of being discouraging to the "newbies", why dont you take a proactive stand and encourage us to make things better. I refuse to be "scared" of surveys and biased opinions regarding MY future goals. So lets say you accomplish your "goal" of convincing us to persue alternate careers, WHO is going to take care of YOU when its your turn to be a patient?Right, thats what I thought..........
  11. by   happystudent
    Originally posted by leobaby23
    I am a Nursing Student in The Houston area,
    but I ask you....is it REALLY that bad?
    Dont let negativity and peoples opinions sway you.....I am a nursing student and WILL graduate May 15. I KNOW this is what I want to do for the rest of my life....If you feel the same way, just keep on pushing ahead. We can make a difference together
  12. by   Sheri257
    Being around sick people all day can't be the same as working in, let's say, a chocolate factory. The smells alone might account for the difference. :chuckle

    But seriously, I'm not sure the two surveys are comparable. One was conducted by the Health Department (70 percent on nurses), the other was done by a Chicago think tank (85-90 percent for everybody else). If I'm reading this right, the surveys may have occured in different time periods with different methodologies, etc.

    85-90 percent job satisfaction strikes me as a little high. Do you have friends who are that happy with their non-nursing jobs? I don't.

    I'm actually encouraged by the numbers. Considering everything I've read on this board, I actually thought it would be a lot worse. If 70 percent of the nurses are happy, I'll gamble on that.
    Last edit by Sheri257 on Jan 5, '04
  13. by   tmiller027
    I've talked to several nurses in my area since I've been in school, and all of them seem to love what they do. Many are working in LTC or a part of a hospital they dont' wish to be in, so are working towards certain specialties, but none of them hate nursing. Most of them were factory workers, waitresses or housewives before going into nursing, so maybe that has something to do with it.
  14. by   hbscott
    Originally posted by happystudent
    I agree.........

    Hbscott, I think it is unfair for you to say we should run from nursing because YOU feel nursing students soon to be RNs will be dissatisfied with our chosen fields.
    HELLO! May I respectfully remind you that the words you are reading were not mine but published by "Health and Human Services"

    Get a grip people and face reality. If you want to improve things face the facts on what nursing practice has become and then be proactive in improving same.

    -HBS

close