1. i was wondering if there are programs out there that if you have already been licensed/practicing as a nurse, then you want to relocate... without having to take months and months/years of courses?

    i will be starting pre-req's, and hopefully entering a nursing program in the future, and i really want to relocate someday.

    i was hoping to move to north carolina/georgia/florida.

    any info? links? insight?

    thanks in advance!
  2. Visit RNWannaBe724 profile page

    About RNWannaBe724

    Joined: Sep '05; Posts: 74; Likes: 1
    Hospitality Supervisor


  3. by   KatieBell
    To be licensed by endorsement (which is the scenario you present) you do not have to take years or months of courses. Some states require you to take a few classes (that are always available on line for a fee) usually in infection control and child/elder abuse and prevention. NY and Washington state and a few others I can think of have this requirement.
    Other than that, all you will need to do is fill out the application and provide appropriate documentation such as transcript from a school of nursing and your license...etc.

    TO make it more clear you can google a states Board of nursing website and click on Licensure by Endorsement and you will see the specific requirements.

    I have a license for several states now, NY is by far the longest form and somewhat difficult to get done.
  4. by   Daytonite
    If you are talking about relocating and then going to another nursing school then you want to make sure that you are currently taking general education classes that are going to be accepted in transfer by most colleges. I'm talking about your English Comp, History, College Algebra kinds of classes. If you have an idea of what school you are going to end up at, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the catalog put out by that school to see what their required courses are.

    As far as moving to another state after you have already become a licensed nurse, this is not a problem. You apply for reciprocity (same as endorsement). All state boards of nursing have a procedure for doing this. It's very easy to check these out on their various web sites. I have moved and gotten RN licenses in 3 other states beside the state where I was originally licensed. It does not involve taking classes or repeating the state board exams. Now, some states have started requiring a one hour continuing education course on their state nursing law that may be required, but that's easy enough to do in a hour or two of your time at home.