Independent RNs/Paramedicals?

  1. This is a stupid question, but, what are the nurses called that go into people's homes for insurance companies/workman's comp purposes and do exams? Paramedical RN's right? Or do I have the name completely wrong here?
  2. Visit jfpruitt profile page

    About jfpruitt

    Joined: Aug '01; Posts: 214; Likes: 1


  3. by   Hellllllo Nurse
    One that took specimens for drug testing, and did an "exam" for a company that tried to sell my husband life ins turned out to be a medical asst. Not a nurse.
  4. by   jfpruitt
    Is a paramedical someone that does independent exams in homes for insurance companies? I'm trying to get the right name of this type of position? Thanks...
  5. by   colleen10
    Maybe it depends on the state you are in as to what they are called?

    I am in PA. I just had a brief physical history taken last weekend, blood and urine specimens also taken for Life insurance purposes. This was all done in my home by a Medical Assistant.

    I would imagine that if you are examining someone under workman's comp you would have to have more med. and assessment exp. than a med. assist can provide.

    I will work extremely hard my Nursing License. Once I get it I don't want anyone calling me anything other than RN. I will have worked very hard for that RN behind my name
    Last edit by colleen10 on Jul 10, '03
  6. by   marci3335
    I worked in an office (examination insurance services) that had a staff of 15 Phlebotomist's that went into peoples homes to do life insurance exams for many different insurance companies. Their title was simply, Phlebotomist. They had to have completed a phlebotomy course and CPR training. The staff doctor trained them on the rest (BP etc.) None of them were RN's or even CNA's.
  7. by   renerian
    I did that in Ohio and had RN on my name tag. Field RN on my job description. Since I was contract I had to carry my own malpractice insurance which I always carry.