Thoughts on Maric College?

U.S.A. California

Published

Hi

I threw my story out on another thread. I'm just finishing up 20 years in the Navy most of it was in Naval Special Warfare where I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to cross-train as a medic. As I was looking for a 2nd career I kept saying things like "I can do this, or I can do that." I finally came to realize that what I "wanted" to do was be an RN. It's a good way to take some of the lessons that I really didnt want to learn working for "Uncle Sucker" and put them to good use helping someone else.

but I digress

I'm starting my classwork as best I can prior to my actual retirement date but I'm getting a little frustrated when the people at the college I'm going to keep telling me how it'll be at least 2 years from the time I finish my pre-req stuff (A&P, chem & microbiology) before I can get into the "core" ADN program. In some things I can show quite a bit of patience, in things like this, not so much.

I'm posting because Maric College is boasting that they have no waiting list, and a better than 85% pass rate on NCLEX-RN. I just keep getting a intermittant alarm going off when I talk to anyone there. It has that slight scent of diploma mill. Not that I have anything against a diploma mill but will the diploma that I get from there do anything for me in the future if I decide to trade up to a BSN? Most importantly is the training that you get from there up to speed?

Just curious if anyone has any experiance with Maric?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Hi..

I have not attended this school. I did check out the website because a nursing school with no wait list sounded interesting. I only saw a LVN/ LPN program. Are they regionally accredited? Is the profram accredited by the NLN? is they are then that is a good sign. If they are not, then you should keep looking.

Hi..

I have not attended this school. I did check out the website because a nursing school with no wait list sounded interesting. I only saw a LVN/ LPN program. Are they regionally accredited? Is the profram accredited by the NLN? is they are then that is a good sign. If they are not, then you should keep looking.

In San Diego they do offer an ADN RN program and the guy kept saying that they were accredited. He, however couldnt tell me if my credits would be accepted by anyone else. I asked about the NLN Pre-test and he had never heard of NLN. That's what started the alarms for me.

Jim

Specializes in Behavioral Health.

Hi there,

I received my ADN from Grossmont College in SD. Several of my classmates received their LVN from Merric. They were all very good nurses, but none of them even considered getting their RN's from the college. I think that the cost of the program was the biggest factor. I wouldn't be alarmed about the NLN test thing. Being a Navy spouse...and living all over the country (went to 5 colleges before graduating)...a lot of schools didn't require the NLN to get into their program. Grossmont was one of them.

Good luck to you!

Hello

I went to the California Board of Registered Nursing and Maric College (3666 Kearny Villa Road San Diego, CA, 92123) was listed as one of their approved RN programs. I checked out the college's pass rate on the NCLEX.

Maric College

1999/2000 #taken % pass

159 65.41%

2003/2004 70 85.71%

If the admissions guy can give you the exact accrediting body (eg Western Association of Schools and Colleges) they may be the way to go.

Hello

I went to the California Board of Registered Nursing and Maric College (3666 Kearny Villa Road San Diego, CA, 92123) was listed as one of their approved RN programs. I checked out the college's pass rate on the NCLEX.

Maric College

1999/2000 #taken % pass

159 65.41%

2003/2004 70 85.71%

If the admissions guy can give you the exact accrediting body (eg Western Association of Schools and Colleges) they may be the way to go.

Thanks

I would have never thought of backchecking him at the board of nursing.

Jim

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.

If you wish to bypass the many time-consuming pre-reqs and are willing to shell out the expensive tuition, I'd say go for it. :rolleyes:

Hi

I threw my story out on another thread. I'm just finishing up 20 years in the Navy most of it was in Naval Special Warfare where I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to cross-train as a medic. As I was looking for a 2nd career I kept saying things like "I can do this, or I can do that." I finally came to realize that what I "wanted" to do was be an RN. It's a good way to take some of the lessons that I really didnt want to learn working for "Uncle Sucker" and put them to good use helping someone else.

but I digress

I'm starting my classwork as best I can prior to my actual retirement date but I'm getting a little frustrated when the people at the college I'm going to keep telling me how it'll be at least 2 years from the time I finish my pre-req stuff (A&P, chem & microbiology) before I can get into the "core" ADN program. In some things I can show quite a bit of patience, in things like this, not so much.

I'm posting because Maric College is boasting that they have no waiting list, and a better than 85% pass rate on NCLEX-RN. I just keep getting a intermittant alarm going off when I talk to anyone there. It has that slight scent of diploma mill. Not that I have anything against a diploma mill but will the diploma that I get from there do anything for me in the future if I decide to trade up to a BSN? Most importantly is the training that you get from there up to speed?

Just curious if anyone has any experiance with Maric?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Most nurses (ADN or BSN) are paid the same. Get the clinical as fast as you can. You have years to get the experience.

If you wish to bypass the many time-consuming pre-reqs and are willing to shell out the expensive tuition, I'd say go for it. :rolleyes:

pre-reqs are fine, I just am frustrated that there is a really really good probability that I can have all of my pre-reqs finished and spend as long as 2 years taking classes like underwater basket weaving or the history of chimpanzees while I wait for an opening in the RN programs here. Inertia is a killer for me. Once started I need to keep at it. As far as tuition goes I have no idea how much these guys charge but I'm hearing that it's plenty.

thanks again

Jim

Specializes in NICU.

Maric charges in the vicinity of $60K for their RN program and over $30K for their LVN program.

Maric charges in the vicinity of $60K for their RN program and over $30K for their LVN program.

gadzooks! Sure makes the $80. a class at city seem pretty cool. I'm just going to have to see what's what after I get closer to getting done with pre-reqs. Thanks to all for the inputs.

Jim

Specializes in NICU.

I don't think you have to have all the pre-reqs done to go to Maric. They will put you through them as part of their program. They also include the textbooks and uniforms in the price of tuition. Shoot, if you will have all the pre-reqs done, apply to SDSU, they don't do waiting lists there. Then you'll have a BSN too, and their tuition is much lower than Maric's!

+ Add a Comment