I got into ADN program...now what?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

HI Everyone! :)

I just got accepted into an ADN program! :balloons: Now I am wondering what is coming! What do I have to look forward to, what will I dread, what will I need... Could someone tell me what I can expect in my ADN program!! :uhoh3:

Thanks everyone!!!

I love this site!

Dannell :chuckle

Nice going. Why borrow worry and trouble. The school will let you know what you need to buy. Relax for a few and enjoy being one of the chosen ones. I see you have WV as part of your nic, may I ask which school?

barefootlady gives you very good advice...enjoy the feeling of being accepted because you may feel midway through...why, oh, why...am i here:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: . i'm kidding.

there is always reading the threads on allnurses...you'll definitely get a feel of what current nursing students are going through.

kris

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho.

Visit the student threads and you will get any help you want and some maybe you dont want. But this is a good resource. :D

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the advice! I just got excited and began wondering what the program would be like. Barefootlady, I am going to Fairmont State University (formerly Fairmont State College) in Northern West Virginia. I see that you are from West Virginia. Did you go to school here as well?

Oh and I was just wondering....

anyone who reads this what was your favorite part of nursing school and why :p

Favorite part of nursing school, THE FRIENDS I MADE!!!! I still keep in touch and the hardest part? IT'S BOOT CAMP BABY!!! Only the toughest survive.

Your very best resources are right here, I had a similar website I used to go to every week end for help, support and advice, it really gave me an advantage with nursing school. Have fun, take good care of yourself and stay in touch.

Do fun things with your friends, travel, live life as it all has to be put on hold while in school. I shouldn't say on hold, but time for fun becomes a more precious commodity. Sit back enjoy the feeling and revel in your freedom.

Best part of my ASN program, people and the fun we made of ourselves.

Best part of my BSN program - people.

Best part of my MN program people, class discussions, and the trip to England I did as part of my fieldwork (with 8 other MN students).

Common theme I'd say.

Worst part of ASN program - care plans (at the time I hated them, when I began practicing I recognized that they had taught me to look at the whole picture and not just focus on diagnosis.

Worst part of BSN program - don't recall

Worst part of MN program - loved all of it - wasn't overly fond of one of the quarters of research - but that was due to a crappy professor and her techniques.

Good luck in school! Enjoy it and remember to enjoy the process - you will be sad when it is over...really... usually related to not seeing all the folks you spent so much time with on a regular basis anymore.

Get your affairs in order! You will have time for nothing but school.

The best part so far is the friends I've made and the feelings of becoming somewhat competent in clinicals.

Favorite part of nursing school, THE FRIENDS I MADE!!!! I still keep in touch and the hardest part? IT'S BOOT CAMP BABY!!! Only the toughest survive.

DITTO -- some of the people you go to lecture with, go to lab with, go to clinical with, pass exams with, fail exams with, get chewed out with, get praised up with, go to lunch and ***** about the program with... they will become people you really come to care about because you will realize that no one understands and feels your pain like these guys do.

Nursing school is boot camp, absolutely. Swim strong sweetie, if you got in then you've likely got what it takes. There will be highs and there will be lows and none of them last for long before you're focused again on riding the next wave. That's why you'll hear people telling you to relax and enjoy the time you have now because before too long you're going to be eating, sleeping, dreaming (last night I dreamed someone had a bruise in their umbilical area and I was screaming: "Retroperitoneal Bleed!! Retroperitoneal Bleed!!"), thinking and talking nursing 24/7.

But, I know, it's extremely exciting when you get in and you want to explore it. So don't listen to those people that tell you to forget about nursing school until you're there. Go ahead and research it all, it's part of the fun of where you're at right now :)

Congratulations to you, you're on your way!

Get your affairs in order!

LOL, sounds a little macabre... but very apt.

I guess I'm a bit different; the part I like about nursing school is the patients and being able to make a difference in their lives. There is a reason that we have to sign a statement that we will not have any contact with our patients afterward; you can't help but wonder happens with them. I love the people I am in school with (mostly) and, since we have people in 6 different parts of the program, I do think about missing the people from all the quarters. I cheer when some of the students I've known have reached 6th quarter, but also realize I won't be seeing them much, if at all, after that! :crying2:

You will see humanity in a whole new way (and I say that having worked as an admitting clerk in an ER for 4 1/2 years and a paramedic for 1). You will be involved with intimate parts (emotional and physical) of people's lives. It is a great privilege and honor to be a nurse. Like all parts of life, there will be people you like and those you don't, both patients and co-workers. There will be people that touch you deeply and that you will carry with you for the rest of your life. It's humbling.

NurseFirst

PS -- if you have a chance, a course in medical terminology will put you a bit ahead of the game. I know it has helped me; one final, a number of people came out wondering what "iatrogenic" meant; on another, fasciculations. Learn to think about the terms; they often are very descriptive if you understand the language roots. For instance, ever have to try to remember where the adrenal glands are? Not any more. "Ad" + "renal" -- on top of the "renal glands" -- the kidneys. Same thing with renin--that "ren" gives it away; it's made in the kidneys.

If you are curious and know someone who has some type of disability or illness, you might try finding out more about that illness on the net. There are great resources out there.

I am currently in an ADN program in North west Georgia and am in my second quarter. It is fun and hard but keep telling yourself that it will be worth it when you are out. Just relax for now and look online for your books. Noone can really tell you what to expect exactly just enjoy it and study, study, study. Also, if you have a husband or a boyfriend tell them to be patient and that you will spend time with them between quarters or semesters. Oh and don't worry about cleaning your house it will be there when you are between terms. :rotfl:

+ Add a Comment