BSN requirement for all RNs

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Should a bachelors degree be required for all RNs?

Specializes in Med-Surg, ER, Mental Health.

I don't know if it should...I am but a humble nursing student...but just as an informational tidbit, all brand-new RNs where I live (Nova Scotia, Canada) must be BSN graduates. You cannot take the Canadian equivalent of the NCLEX here unless you have a BSN, unless you have previously been licensed as an RN.

I'm guessing it shouldn't be, though...up until a few years ago, there were a few two-year diploma programs here, and I've met several wonderful nurses who graduated from those programs. They are super at their jobs!

I am in an ADN nursing program, and I don't think a BSN is NECESSARY to become an RN (Although I am going back to school for it as well as my Master's).

It doesn't matter if you have your ADN or your BSN, it just matters that you pass the NCLEX!!!!:rolleyes:

Although there are many advantages of having your BSN if you want to climb up that career ladder. There are a lot of administrative etc. jobs you need a BSN for.

As you move through your further educational preparation, your view will change. Education can be really enlightening, especially in nursing.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Oh oh - I don't think we want to go here!

As you move through your further educational preparation, your view will change. Education can be really enlightening, especially in nursing.

I have to agree. As a 50 year old RN I am now going back to school along with 3 children and it is stimulating to say the least. Kathy:uhoh3:

I think a BSN is VERY important to have.

I just do not believe you have to have a BSN to be a competent RN.

Specializes in Community Health Nurse.
Oh oh - I don't think we want to go here!

DITTO!!! :rolleyes:

Yes.

But, I am not a snob about it. I have a BSN. Whatever route you choose is fine. Some BSN nurses are snooty, and think that they are superior to our LVN, ADN,LPN's ... and vice-versa....

If you want to continue your education, great! If not, that is fine too! .

:)

I disagree.

If we required BSN for all nurses, what would the screaming be for the shortage then?

To lose all of our ADN, diploma and LPN's would be a disgrace...

We are all different, all intelligent, qualified nurses, and should always have the right to chose what education level we desire.

Idealistically, yes. But until we have enough nursing professors and universities willing to keep their BSN programs open, it is not going to happen any time soon unfortunately.

Put my vote in for yes. I think as nursing becomes more and more complex, a BSN should be required, or some form of standardization for entry into nursing.

+ Add a Comment