Does anyone here love their job?

Nurses New Nurse

Published

There's so many stories here about how people hate their Nursing Jobs. Does anyone here really love their job? Also, out of curiosity how long have you been a nurse, what shift do you work and what specialty do you work in? I am a student excited about becoming a nurse, but am a little scared by the negativity, I would love to hear some of your positive thoughts about your jobs, if any! Thanks in advance!

I have been worked 14 years in Army Hospital. Sometimes I thought that it was too stressful, sometimes it was too hard physically, the salary seemed too low, patients were too demanded, sometimes I even wanted to quit. Finally I immigrated in Canada and only now I understand how much I miss my patients, my job, my scrub, my title! You can evaluate your proffession only when you lose it. I've started everything from the beginning in new country, that's why I'm in this discussion. And I would like to tell you, appreciate what you have. Now I know, I really love nursing.

Currently!

I have 3 years experience. As I neared the end of my 3rd year I DESPISED my job on a med surg unit. Before that it was tele/stepdown. Before that it was chemical dependency/behavioral unit. Before that it was physical rehab....which I actually really enjoyed, come to think of it. My first job, too. But after 3 years of :crying2: and stress, I started looking for an office job. I finally got a job in an office after 3 months of unemployment as a medical nurse consultant at my current company. I LOVE THIS JOB. Good hours (8-5), actual lunch breaks for get this 1 HOUR, I can use the bathroom when I have the urge, low stress.....I LOVE MY JOB.

Would I go back to floor nursing? Maybe. But this job will help me to get some management/QA experience which would probably keep me away from the bedside! Sometimes I miss it, especially the nice patients and just meeting lots of different people all the time. But in my new job I feel respected and like my services are needed and appreciated. I feel like I'm using more of what I learned in school in this capacity than I was as a floor nurse.

eta: I have worn many hats as a nurse, but I consider myself a (physical) rehab nurse, as that's where I spent most of my time. 3 years experience in the field, 1 in physical rehab. I worked every weekend, night shift for 3 years primarily (occasional day shifts, but I was in the weekender program). I loved nights (still do miss them a bit) and I loved working only 3 days er, nights a week and having the rest of the week to myself. Now I work 5 days a week, but I also get most major holidays off and yearly mandatory vacation time.....new job has it's perks!

There's so many stories here about how people hate their nursing jobs. Does anyone here really love their job? Also, out of curiosity how long have you been a nurse, what shift do you work and what specialty do you work in? I am a student excited about becoming a nurse, but am a little scared by the negativity, I would love to hear some of your positive thoughts about your jobs, if any! Thanks in advance!

I currently work in a stepdown med/surg floor and we do primary nursing. I have been there two and a half months. I have had moments in the beginning when I would cry and feel like a complete idiot but I love nursing!! There are ups and downs in any profession and unfortunately nursing is one alot of people think is cute. I have many ex-coworkers who think nursing is all about meeting doctors and doing assessments. True, you have to work your butt off for every dime you get but it is rewarding and can be fufilling if it's for you. It seems like alot of people had different ideas about nursing and what it is all about. I worked in a hospital for four years whike going to school, so I saw the ins and outs of nursing. Nursing is not for everyone and that is okay. I love challenges, people and learning something new every day (I'm an adrenaline junkie). Reality will hit after nursing school and it is a shock but in this world today, what is easy anymore? I just suggest that you do your own research and make a decision before you waste anymore time. Think about this: There are so many people out there who want an opportunity to be a nurse and can't while the people who have the opportunity waste it and decide after all their schooling, it just isn't it. I hope you do whatever makes you happy and that my advice helps. I hope I didn't offend anyone, this is just my opinion. God Bless....AMARTIN1

AMARTIN1 - Hey! No, I totally agree. Nursing is not for everyone. I do however think it is for me. I already have a BA in Psychology and Communications, but it is hard to put these majors into action by themselves. I worked with mentally disabled adults for a long time, and there was a lot of physical non-glamourous work involved. I absolutely loved my job, unfortunately though those jobs don't pay the bills. When I realized I was doing basically the same job as the nurse there was, except for handing out meds, I knew what my plan was to be. Plus I love my nursing classes and have always had top grades. I am a hard worker, and have never backed down from a challenge or given up in anything I have done. I have worked with many lazy people before and could never stand to be like that. So basically, I didn't mean to say I'm not sure about becoming a nurse, my mind has been made up for a long time now. I guess I am just more interested in hearing some nice positive stories for a change. Alot of people get into Nursing b/c they think of it as a rewarding career, and I would like to hear people's stories on how it has been rewarding to them in their own lives and what their favorite aspects of their careers are!

Specializes in PICU, Nurse Educator, Clinical Research.

well, right now, I pretty much hate my job- I'm a new grad, I work in a PICU, and I've been there for 2.5 months. I'm about to go in for work right now, and, as usual, I feel like I'm going to throw up.

That being said, I was told by my manager that *everyone* feels overwhelmed by this job for no less than six months, and she always asks her new nurses to give it a year- up to a year and a half- before deciding it's not for them. In polling the nurses I work with, they all said pretty much the same thing.

If I *don't* end up liking this position, I'll try another area- but I will give it a year. Right now, I hate feeling like I don't know how to do anything, and I'm still adjusting to having other people pretty much dictating my schedule, hour to hour- I've had a great deal of flexibility in planning my day in previous careers. I'm sure the first feeling will pass with time, and I'll adjust to the second. If I don't, there are enough other types of nursing I can try if bedside nursing doesn't do it for me.

Specializes in ICU, telemetry, LTAC.

I think, this week, I like my job. Last week I would not have said that, but last week was rough. It's a cardiac/telemetry unit that runs 1 to 4 ratios in the daytime and 1 to 4 or 5 at night. I've seen a tech like twice, and it always surprises me that they exist. I'm willing to suspend judgement on the positive side, for now, and will make up my mind in about 6 months or so whether to stay or look elsewhere. Overall, my coworkers make the unit a good place.

Yes, I love me job. I have been on the unit 6 weeks and am enjoying every second of it. I will admit at times I do feel overwhelmed. But my preceptor as well as my manager have been very pleased with how I am handling myself and the stress. This is a profession that I now i can do. I survived nursing school and my patients are happy, except for that demented guy who hit me last night. Oh well, it comes with the territory. Can't wait for my shift to start this evening.

Adam, RN

dont be worried. everyone seems to dislike the work, but it's just that it can get tiring and frustrating at times. i've been doing it for 7 months, and though i've been exhausted, abused, eliminated upon, injured, and overworked, but i keep going back because i love every moment!

Specializes in Medical/Surgical/Maternal and Child.

I've been a nurse for 12 years and made my bones on a very tough med/surg unit and have done 3 years med/surg then went on to OB/Gyn case management for an insurance company. Had to get my fingers into the pie again and went to work post partum which I dearly loved. Then my hip and my knee began to rebel so now I work for the State case managing kids in foster care. Even though I burned out on the med/surg unit because of the patient load, I have never regretted becoming a nurse. and I honestly loved it and learned a great deal. I loved post partum the best. I have loved my nursing career and sometimes miss the patient contact, but I love doing what I'm doing now too. :D

AMARTIN1 - Hey! No, I totally agree. Nursing is not for everyone. I do however think it is for me. I already have a BA in Psychology and Communications, but it is hard to put these majors into action by themselves. I worked with mentally disabled adults for a long time, and there was a lot of physical non-glamourous work involved. I absolutely loved my job, unfortunately though those jobs don't pay the bills. When I realized I was doing basically the same job as the nurse there was, except for handing out meds, I knew what my plan was to be. Plus I love my nursing classes and have always had top grades. I am a hard worker, and have never backed down from a challenge or given up in anything I have done. I have worked with many lazy people before and could never stand to be like that. So basically, I didn't mean to say I'm not sure about becoming a nurse, my mind has been made up for a long time now. I guess I am just more interested in hearing some nice positive stories for a change. Alot of people get into Nursing b/c they think of it as a rewarding career, and I would like to hear people's stories on how it has been rewarding to them in their own lives and what their favorite aspects of their careers are!

Good luck to you!!! :)

Specializes in Emergency.

Everyone in the ER also said they hated it at first and that it takes a year. I am trying to wait it out.

There are a lot of things I love about my job. I work with some really really great people. I laugh so hard I cry on a regular basis at work, either funny things pts do or say, or funny things staff members do or say. For example, my pt. was very very ill (literally almost died later that night) and her daughter was playing on the ground by the door. The 3-4 year old said "Mommy I see a naked man" the mom tought she saw something on TV so she blew it off. Then the girl said "Mommy he has a pee pee like daddy's" I rush over to look and there is a drunk man standing naked in his room down the hall! I moved the girl and covered the man up, then the mom and I had a long good laugh, she was so embarrassed. You wouldn't think an ER would be a great place for comedy, but it really is.

I love it when I figure something out for myself or when I know what the Dr. is going to do before he does it, it's great to feel like I am really learning and growing. I have some wonderful patients who are very thankful and kind, and when they aren't I enjoy venting about them with my fellow employees!

If I were you I would not read the first year of nursing posts! If this is the hardest time in a nurses career then it would probably be better to not read about it all the time because you are just setting your self up for a bad time with all the negativity.

+ Add a Comment