Jump to content

Feeling Trapped!

Nurses   (1,701 Views 30 Comments)

RNfindingherway has 1 years experience as a BSN, RN.

11,352 Visitors; 792 Posts

advertisement

Hello, I was offered a position at a hospital. I gave in my two weeks resignation. I was told by the hospital that my present job is releasing me in about six weeks from the resignation date. I was told by many employees at the facility that the have a history of holding people back. The new job said they will wait for me. However, I feel trapped and I feel angry that they will do this. Why nursing management do this to people? Anyone been in this situation or similar and how did you handle it? Thanks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sour Lemon has 9 years experience.

2 Followers; 29,031 Visitors; 4,104 Posts

Are you transferring to another position in the same hospital?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RNfindingherway has 1 years experience as a BSN, RN.

11,352 Visitors; 792 Posts

6 hours ago, Sour Lemon said:

Are you transferring to another position in the same hospital?

I am transferring from NF setting to a  different position at another hospital but they both under Health and Hospitals NY.

Edited by Hadassah16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jedrnurse has 25 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a school nurse.

11,026 Visitors; 1,111 Posts

27 minutes ago, Hadassah16 said:

I am transferring from NF setting to a  different position at another hospital but they both under Health and Hospitals NY.

If it's the same organization they can hold up your transfer. It's frustrating, but at least they told you they'd hold the other job open for you. Are you part of a union? Having a contract putting a limit on this type of nonsense is the only way I can think of getting around it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RNfindingherway has 1 years experience as a BSN, RN.

11,352 Visitors; 792 Posts

20 minutes ago, Jedrnurse said:

If it's the same organization they can hold up your transfer. It's frustrating, but at least they told you they'd hold the other job open for you. Are you part of a union? Having a contract putting a limit on this type of nonsense is the only way I can think of getting around it...

It is beyond frustrating. Yesterday was suppose to be my last day as per my resignation letter,  but till after Easter they are releasing me.  Yes I am part of a Union (NYSNA). Going to work there is not a nice feeling at all. The only time I feel happy is when I do my rounds and meet my Residents and their faces lit up when they see me. I feel good knowing that I am making a difference in the lives of the Residents. Other than that pure frustration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jedrnurse has 25 years experience as a BSN, RN and works as a school nurse.

11,026 Visitors; 1,111 Posts

1 hour ago, Hadassah16 said:

It is beyond frustrating. Yesterday was suppose to be my last day as per my resignation letter,  but till after Easter they are releasing me.  Yes I am part of a Union (NYSNA). Going to work there is not a nice feeling at all. The only time I feel happy is when I do my rounds and meet my Residents and their faces lit up when they see me. I feel good knowing that I am making a difference in the lives of the Residents. Other than that pure frustration. 

Have you checked with your union rep to see if your contract addresses this "holding over" of your transfer issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

630 Visitors; 54 Posts

Im sorry. I just want to say, your feelings are completely valid. I would be frustrated and feel trapped if I were in your shoes. That just sucks. I am glad your new job is holding your spot.

I eventually want to transfer positions in my hospital system when I hit the year mark. And I am worried I will have this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RNfindingherway has 1 years experience as a BSN, RN.

11,352 Visitors; 792 Posts

19 hours ago, AxelNewRN86 said:

Im sorry. I just want to say, your feelings are completely valid. I would be frustrated and feel trapped if I were in your shoes. That just sucks. I am glad your new job is holding your spot.

I eventually want to transfer positions in my hospital system when I hit the year mark. And I am worried I will have this issue.

Thank you Axel. It is but I am holding  my God to see me through. I trust and pray that you're not in that position when you transfer. All the best to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RNfindingherway has 1 years experience as a BSN, RN.

11,352 Visitors; 792 Posts

22 hours ago, Jedrnurse said:

Have you checked with your union rep to see if your contract addresses this "holding over" of your transfer issue?

Thanks Jedrnurse. I spoke to the union rep on site and he said that's what they do. I will call the union office for further information. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emergent has 25 years experience and works as a Emergency Room RN.

6 Followers; 2 Articles; 63,579 Visitors; 2,700 Posts

If it's in the same system you have no choice but to go along. In my hospital, which isn't huge, they've done that to ICU nurses wanting to come down to ER. We have a fun group and good reputation in the hospital. The ICU is more shorthanded, with some difficult personalities. 

People had to wait more than 6 weeks so count yourself fortunate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2,450 Visitors; 106 Posts

At my job, transfers within the organization can be held for up to six pay periods. Yes, it is unionized.

So, no consolation except - it could have been longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5,617 Visitors; 724 Posts

6 hours ago, Emergent said:

If it's in the same system you have no choice but to go along. In my hospital, which isn't huge, they've done that to ICU nurses wanting to come down to ER. We have a fun group and good reputation in the hospital. The ICU is more shorthanded, with some difficult personalities. 

People had to wait more than 6 weeks so count yourself fortunate. 

Can you tell me some of the reasons ICU nurses transfer to the ER? I am just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×