Jump to content

Falsely accused of falsifying documentation: What should I do?

Nurse Attorney   (397 Views 2 Comments)
by Lorie Brown RN, MN, JD Lorie Brown RN, MN, JD (Advice Column) Writer Expert Verified

Lorie Brown RN, MN, JD has 30 years experience .

11 Followers; 8 Articles; 5,713 Profile Views; 101 Posts

Hello Lorie

I was falsely accused of falsifying documentation at work. My employer conducted an internal investigation and concluded I falsified documents. In the investigation report it states things I supposedly admitted to. They wrote things I never said. They have terminated me, and they were also reporting me to the BON. I have been a nurse for 10 years. I have no previous disciplinary actions. Also no civil or criminal record. Nothing more than a speeding ticket or 2.

What should I do to refute this, and keep from losing my license?

Dear Falsely Accused,
I am sorry this is happening and I hear it all too frequently.  The best advice is to hire an attorney. One that is experienced representing nurses before the Board.  You can find one at TAANA.org.  Your license is too important. 

Hope this helps.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

9 Followers; 3,337 Posts; 24,385 Profile Views

It is a shame that proving and recovering defamation/libel damages in cases where employers have just written down whatever they want to is not more feasible. It seems like it would be worth approaching from this angle in addition to the defensive angle, though.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites