In preperation for a lecture, I'm aquiring information on protocols/standing orders that are used in ER's. (this is an informal survey, some poor grad student will get the pleasure of doing a formal one )
1. What protocols do you use. i.e. Abd pain gets a line, labs, etc,
2. How invasive are your pain protocols. i.e. Can you give an isolated extremitiy injury i.e. obvious fx get narcotics in triage. (This is just a hypothetical example)
3. Does it make a difference in how fast patients can be seen, treated and released.
4. Do they empower you as a nurse or make you life harder
5. How often do the powers that be check to make sure your following protocols.
6. How often do your Doc's disagree or stray from the protocol
7. What are your thoughts on protocols? Pos, neg etc.
Thanks in Advance