ER certifications

  1. I just started working in the NYC area in an ER, and my question is what certifications do I need and do i have to have the NCLEX, because I have a nursing license issued in Puerto Rico. Also where the sites that I can inquire for these certifications in the N.Y area. Thank you.
  2. Visit Nancy14 profile page

    About Nancy14, BSN, RN

    Joined: Apr '00; Posts: 19; Likes: 5
    Registered Nurse; from PR
    Specialty: 18 year(s) of experience in ER, GI


  3. by   CHUBBY
    Sorry, I can't help you with the NCLEX question. Depending on the ER, the minimum cert required is ACLS. Some places will require PALS, TNCC, or even NALS (if you see alot of peds). The general rule has been that if they require it as a condition of employment they either have to pay for the classes or reimburse you when you pass the exam. Many ERs that require CEN cert usually give you a time frame, i.e. you have to become certified within a year of employment, and they may pay for you to take the test once, if you fail, you pay for the retakes. Try the New York ENA , and there are a slew of EMS sites that you can search for. Good Luck