Well, if you were going to be my Charge Nurse this is what I would want,,,,
1. Don't blow sunshine up my scrubs
by telling me that the staffing shortage is going to get better when you know there is a hiring freeze on.
2. Do everything you can to assure that your staff gets their breaks as was said before. (I just got off working for 14 1/2 hours straight without a break, so I am not very happy right now).
3. Give praise where praise is due, make the ones that bust their butt's know that YOU KNOW! An attaboy/girl goes a long long way!
4. As was said for #3 do the same for the ones that just do the minimum to get by, buts their chops, let them know that their lack of work is noticed, and that YOU KNOW! The ones that bust their butts will notice that!
5. Don't lie to me, tell me the way it is, and the way it is going to be, I may not like it, but at least I know it is the truth, and I sure will respect you for it, and if you don't, well, it will be a long journey as a charge nurse.
I could go on and on I guess, but those are the top ones that I can come up with.