Jump to content

DNP programs- University of South Alabama vs University of Alabama Huntsville

Doctoral   (1,923 Views 17 Comments)
by Cassandra-FNP Cassandra-FNP (New Member) New Member

555 Profile Views; 3 Posts

advertisement

Does anyone have any information of University of South alabama's DNP program or University of Alabama Huntsville? I'm in the process of applying for both but I wanted to see if anyone was a current DNP student at either of these places and had any opinions on how the programs were. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NurseYoshi has 1 years experience.

161 Posts; 2,175 Profile Views

I attended UAH as a BSN student. They're in the process of separating from the joint DNP program that's partnered with Alabama and UAB. It seems like as of right now UAH's individual DNP program (MSN-DNP and BSN-DNP) is not accredited, but they say they're in the process. Most of the faculty at UAH are ok, but they seem to get off topic a lot. The graduate students (MSN NP) that I've spoke to say that graduate work at UAH is easier than undergrad. Because everything is changing at UAH, I don't know when they'll update their website with the most updated information. I was trying to dig around about the BSN-DNP program, but I ended up going on campus and being told that they don't know anything yet. The lady who moved into the role of admissions for graduate programs at UAH is REALLY sweet and would be awesome to talk to. I just stopped by the office and talked to some guy who didn't know much and said the lady was out. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 Posts; 224 Profile Views

On 12/2/2017 at 7:11 PM, Cassandra-FNP said:

Does anyone have any information of University of South alabama's DNP program or University of Alabama Huntsville? I'm in the process of applying for both but I wanted to see if anyone was a current DNP student at either of these places and had any opinions on how the programs were. Thanks!

how did things work out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SgonzoCPNP has 5 years experience as a MSN, APRN and specializes in Pediatrics.

6 Posts; 89 Profile Views

I'm currently in the MSN to DNP program at USA.  I'm loving it so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sophBSN15 has 4 years experience.

26 Posts; 1,551 Profile Views

I was officially accepted to USA, and will be starting this fall for my DNP with new specialization in PMHNP 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 Posts; 382 Profile Views

I recently finished my MSN-FNP and am looking into various programs to continue on for my DNP.  What has your experience been like at USA? Did you also do your MSN online? Is the coursework/load about the same? I am currently filling out my paperwork and would love any tips or nuggets of knowledge for the application.  How long is the total program? I see there are a couple completions options on their site.  Thanks~  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sophBSN15 has 4 years experience.

26 Posts; 1,551 Profile Views

12 hours ago, CANURSE999 said:

I recently finished my MSN-FNP and am looking into various programs to continue on for my DNP.  What has your experience been like at USA? Did you also do your MSN online? Is the coursework/load about the same? I am currently filling out my paperwork and would love any tips or nuggets of knowledge for the application.  How long is the total program? I see there are a couple completions options on their site.  Thanks~  

 

Hi,

I officially start 08/20, so I dont have any current feedback but once I get started I will be sure to keep allnurses updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 Posts; 382 Profile Views

On 6/7/2019 at 10:24 PM, SgonzoCPNP said:

I'm currently in the MSN to DNP program at USA.  I'm loving it so far. 

Any updates? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 Posts; 382 Profile Views

53 minutes ago, sophBSN15 said:

Hi,

I officially start 08/20, so I dont have any current feedback but once I get started I will be sure to keep allnurses updated.

Congrats! I am filling out the application now. Fingers crossed I get accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sophBSN15 has 4 years experience.

26 Posts; 1,551 Profile Views

17 minutes ago, CANURSE999 said:

Congrats! I am filling out the application now. Fingers crossed I get accepted.

I am super excited, counting down actually. I am getting my DNP with a new specialization in Psych. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SgonzoCPNP has 5 years experience as a MSN, APRN and specializes in Pediatrics.

6 Posts; 89 Profile Views

23 hours ago, CANURSE999 said:

I recently finished my MSN-FNP and am looking into various programs to continue on for my DNP.  What has your experience been like at USA? Did you also do your MSN online? Is the coursework/load about the same? I am currently filling out my paperwork and would love any tips or nuggets of knowledge for the application.  How long is the total program? I see there are a couple completions options on their site.  Thanks~  

 

I am currently in the MSN-DNP at USA. I started in fall in 2016 and completed 2 courses. I took a break and focused on other things in my life. I am going back this fall to continue. I'm a pediatric primary care NP and doing my DNP in the same specialty. I can only go by my experience from 2016. The professors were helpful and supportive and the course work was doable while working full time. As long as you plan ahead. I am excited to go back.

I did my BSN and MSN-PNP at Villanova University and it was in class, with the exception of 2 classes being online. I feel like the MSN-DNP is more writing intensive and there are no exams. I also feel the courses are self-driven/taught vs BSN and MSN courses.  I am on the 16 semester plan and will finish in 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 Posts; 382 Profile Views

Thats really great to hear about the program and its even better to hear you are getting back on it!  Are there are shorter options than 16 semesters? 

Thanks again.  I am finishing the application now as the cut-off is next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×