Jump to content

Dialysis nursing pros and cons

Nurses   (1,222 Views 26 Comments)

1,339 Visitors; 105 Posts

advertisement

Hi everyone, 

I recently was offered a position for dialysis nursing and wanted to know the pros and cons of dialysis from any experienced nurses? 

How do you manage the 16 hours shifts ?

Also is it flexible for anyone that has children ? I have a 4 year old 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TriciaJ has 37 years experience as a ASN, RN and specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

10 Followers; 33,504 Visitors; 3,222 Posts

Did you really mean 16 hr shifts?  I don't know how that works for children, pets or potted plants.

I get that some people love compressed work weeks, but you can only compress so much.  Your own body needs occasional intervals of rest during marathon work sessions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,339 Visitors; 105 Posts

5 minutes ago, TriciaJ said:

Did you really mean 16 hr shifts?  I don't know how that works for children, pets or potted plants.

I get that some people love compressed work weeks, but you can only compress so much.  Your own body needs occasional intervals of rest during marathon work sessions.

Yes i completely agree. The average work day is from 5am to 8pm 3-4xs a week depending on the facilities needs.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JadedCPN has 13 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU.

1 Follower; 7,122 Visitors; 671 Posts

1 hour ago, Lovethenurse2b25 said:

Yes i completely agree. The average work day is from 5am to 8pm 3-4xs a week depending on the facilities needs.   

That's a hard NO from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LibraSunCNM has 10 years experience as a MSN and specializes in OB.

24,737 Visitors; 1,187 Posts

2 hours ago, Lovethenurse2b25 said:

Yes i completely agree. The average work day is from 5am to 8pm 3-4xs a week depending on the facilities needs.   

Would you be paid hourly or salary?  That sounds like a nightmare.  I've never worked in dialysis and am sure there are great gigs out there, but most of what I've read on this site about it would leave me running away screaming...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex_RN has 3 years experience.

3,736 Visitors; 322 Posts

Aren't dialysis nurses sometimes paid by the case?

WIll you be at a hospital, SNF, LTAC, or dialysis center?

Edited by Alex_RN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,339 Visitors; 105 Posts

28 minutes ago, Alex_RN said:

Aren't dialysis nurses sometimes paid by the case?

WIll you be at a hospital, SNF, LTAC, or dialysis center?

Dialysis center 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,339 Visitors; 105 Posts

46 minutes ago, LibraSunCNM said:

Would you be paid hourly or salary?  That sounds like a nightmare.  I've never worked in dialysis and am sure there are great gigs out there, but most of what I've read on this site about it would leave me running away screaming...

Salary, i’ve always had a interest in dialysis but after interviewing i am certainly thinking about running. This particular company is in dire need for nurses. I was told the facility is extremely short staff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocknurse is a MSN and specializes in Critical Care and ED.

26,946 Visitors; 1,352 Posts

I really loved working in dialysis. Life seemed so much simpler then. I worked in acute dialysis though so my schedule was unpredictable. We couldn't leave until the last treatment was done but sometimes that meant the day was over at 1pm, and sometimes that meant 10pm. I worked with a great bunch of people then and honestly I had a blast. I wish sometimes I could go back because compared to my current job it was great. It's a good specialty to get into because there's always a need. Try it and see if you like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,339 Visitors; 105 Posts

1 hour ago, Rocknurse said:

I really loved working in dialysis. Life seemed so much simpler then. I worked in acute dialysis though so my schedule was unpredictable. We couldn't leave until the last treatment was done but sometimes that meant the day was over at 1pm, and sometimes that meant 10pm. I worked with a great bunch of people then and honestly I had a blast. I wish sometimes I could go back because compared to my current job it was great. It's a good specialty to get into because there's always a need. Try it and see if you like it.

Thanks for the response. I will definitely look into it. It sounds like a promising career but with me being a single parent mom I'm afraid it will turn out to be too much for me to handle. I have a 3 year old with almost no help at all from friends or family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoosier_RN has 20 years experience as a MSN and specializes in LTC, home health, hospice, ICU, ER, dialysis.

3 Followers; 2,739 Visitors; 1,359 Posts

 

2 minutes ago, Lovethenurse2b25 said:

Thanks for the response. I will definitely look into it. It sounds like a promising career but with me being a single parent mom I'm afraid it will turn out to be too much for me to handle. I have a 3 year old with almost no help at all from friends or family. 

If you have a support network to help with your child it could be an excellent choice.  If you don't have that support, it may not be a good choice, as some days will run long or end off short, depending on pt or facility issues.  I love it, but I have no kiddos at home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LibraSunCNM has 10 years experience as a MSN and specializes in OB.

24,737 Visitors; 1,187 Posts

4 hours ago, Lovethenurse2b25 said:

Salary, i’ve always had a interest in dialysis but after interviewing i am certainly thinking about running. This particular company is in dire need for nurses. I was told the facility is extremely short staff.  

The 16 hour shifts may or may not have something to do with that!  As a single parent, I don't know how you'd coordinate childcare for shifts that long.  Not to mention having energy to actually spend time with your child when you're off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×