Jump to content

Day shift?

Nurses   (1,360 Views | 11 Replies)

1 Follower; 6,785 Profile Views; 962 Posts

I work the night shift (12 hours in a hospital on a mental health floor) and I am being offered the day shift but I don't want to work it. Am I crazy? Truth is for some odd reason where I work, the day shift is short-staffed. I can't wrap my head around it. I like ducking and dodging management, not having to deal with too many families, and being able to to avoid the "staff detectives" that watch your every move while you work ( the ones that say, did you foam in and out?). I don't want to get in my car early in the morning, and have to drive to work. It would take me an hour or more with traffic to get to work on time. It only takes me about 30 minutes to get to work right now. My body has adjusted to working nights pretty well. I have the flow down. I feel at peace for once in my life despite the challenges of nursing. For all of previous  nursing positions I have worked days and I always had a strong urge to quit them. Nights has it's challenges but I am managing them. Occasionally I look like the below picture but I am fine. What do you think?

 

image.png.9da9cabe65d784a53c6552fbdb8251ec.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

verene is a MSN and specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

1,608 Posts; 10,119 Profile Views

Many people don't like nights and would jump at the chance to work days. However, you know you best, if you are a night shift person and would rather stay on nights, then let management know you'd like to keep your current position and decline the offer for days.

I know, personally, that my ideal shift would probably be a 3pm-3am, but that isn't offered were I work so I flip between nights and days.... they each have their own pros/cons and if offered full-time I'm not actually sure which shift I'd prefer (probably days? but I really hate getting up at 4am on a regular basis).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crash_Cart has 11 years experience and specializes in ER OR LTC Code Blue Trauma Dog.

2 Followers; 446 Posts; 5,106 Profile Views

Never liked days. You're always under the microscope and everything is a bureaucracy. 

There's always too many docs chasing everyone around looking to be pacified all day.  They can't seem to do anything at all for themselves. How did they manage to get dressed by themselves to come into work?

Yup, the admin types wearing suits and cocktail dresses in high heels, looking like they are going to the academy awards, wandering around aimlessly in the hallways and elevators doing nothing all day.

Then there's the ongoing battles with all the different departments to get crap done.  Of course, they can only do battle during days because they don't work any other time. Please hold while we find someone, who can help you find someone. Oh nevermind, they are at lunch all day so can you call back tomorrow? 

Then there's too many people wanting too many things at the same time and of course their issues are always more important, than everyone else's more important issues. So that way, you can never get anything done. 

Then people show up without warning who thinks everyone can just drop everything they are doing to attend some kind of committee meeting that proposes ways to set up other committees and more meetings. 

Don't you just love days? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JBMmom has 6 years experience as a MSN and specializes in Long term care; med-surg; critical care.

1 Follower; 854 Posts; 12,235 Profile Views

I've been on nights for a couple years and it's what works best for my family life at this time. You know yourself best and if you like nights, stick with nights. You get the shift differential, so that helps, and if it works for you that's great. I would like to work days because I think getting more information directly from the providers would help me gain experience, but there's a balance to everything. The only thing I really hate is being on a few committees that meet at noon and 3pm. No consideration for night shift there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 962 Posts; 6,785 Profile Views

10 hours ago, verene said:

Many people don't like nights and would jump at the chance to work days. However, you know you best, if you are a night shift person and would rather stay on nights, then let management know you'd like to keep your current position and decline the offer for days.

I know, personally, that my ideal shift would probably be a 3pm-3am, but that isn't offered were I work so I flip between nights and days.... they each have their own pros/cons and if offered full-time I'm not actually sure which shift I'd prefer (probably days? but I really hate getting up at 4am on a regular basis).

I wish there was a 3 pm to 3 am as well. It is at 3pm that I start to struggle with staying up but if I move around or have some coffee I am ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 962 Posts; 6,785 Profile Views

7 hours ago, Crash_Cart said:

Never liked days. You're always under the microscope and everything is a bureaucracy. 

There's always too many docs chasing everyone around looking to be pacified all day.  They can't seem to do anything at all for themselves. How did they manage to get dressed by themselves to come into work?

Yup, the admin types wearing suits and cocktail dresses in high heels, looking like they are going to the academy awards, wandering around aimlessly in the hallways and elevators doing nothing all day.

Then there's the ongoing battles with all the different departments to get crap done.  Of course, they can only do battle during days because they don't work any other time. Please hold while we find someone, who can help you find someone. Oh nevermind, they are at lunch all day so can you call back tomorrow? 

Then there's too many people wanting too many things at the same time and of course their issues are always more important, than everyone else's more important issues. So that way, you can never get anything done. 

Then people show up without warning who thinks everyone can just drop everything they are doing to attend some kind of committee meeting that proposes ways to set up other committees and more meetings. 

Don't you just love days? 

 

Everything you said is correct. On the day shift there are so many people needing so many things at the same time. The interruptions come too often. I like my life outside of the hospital as well.  I shop at night, clean my house quietly and plan for the next day. I can always do a little something on all of the days of the week regardless if I work or not. If I work the day shift it will be hard to maintain this life I have right now. I think I am a natural night owl. I like to stay up late and sleep in. I will stick with nights for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 962 Posts; 6,785 Profile Views

4 hours ago, JBMmom said:

I've been on nights for a couple years and it's what works best for my family life at this time. You know yourself best and if you like nights, stick with nights. You get the shift differential, so that helps, and if it works for you that's great. I would like to work days because I think getting more information directly from the providers would help me gain experience, but there's a balance to everything. The only thing I really hate is being on a few committees that meet at noon and 3pm. No consideration for night shift there.

I like the shift differential as well, its a added bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

615 Posts; 10,977 Profile Views

There is nothing wrong with preferring night shift; you are not crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RN-to- BSN has 6 years experience as a ADN, RN and specializes in SCRN.

214 Posts; 4,812 Profile Views

On 8/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, Crash_Cart said:

Then people show up without warning who thinks everyone can just drop everything they are doing to attend some kind of committee meeting that proposes ways to set up other committees and more meetings. 

Haha, and my personal favorite, INSERVICE. The other day, the vascular rn team actually knocked on the patient's door when they heard me talk in there, I was setting up a K rider, and asked me to come out for an INSERVICE they were setting up. I looked at her blank and just held up the IV tubing, she added: " when you're done". Really? 

 

OP, if the night shift is what you like, don't switch to the CRAZY day shift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TitaniumPlates has 15 years experience and specializes in ED.

106 Posts; 2,073 Profile Views

You're not crazy. Shift diff. No management. Autonomy. Most of the patients are sleeping (or should be, unless you are ER). No meetings or "committees" that you can get roped into. Shift diff. Did I mention shift diff?

I don't like 7p-7a. I have no idea why that shift and it's counter part ever was developed as a rational start/end time. 9a-9p and vice versa. 11a-11p and vice versa. You miss all of the crap on both sides--no traffic either way and you get to go home for a decent nights' sleep.

I was noon-midnight for many years. Loved it. You get a bit of days and a bit of evenings and some extra scratch in the check for the "after hours". It's always hoppin' so the shift goes quickly. Not too much exposure to admin, just enough to get a problem worked out with the manager who always seems to be able to scoot out the door before the 7p crew gets in.

I am the weirdo of the nursing world where I would prefer 3-11p 5 days a week or even 2p-midnight 4 days a week. I don't like this 12 hour that is actually 15 hour when you factor in being forced to come in a half hour early for shift change, the Flo that has to have the life story of ALL the patients you're handing off (sometimes 6!) so your report is 45 minutes long...or the call outs that the manager "just now remembered" as you're sitting waiting for relief and no one comes.

Nah. Give me evenings--or give me noon-midnight. Nights shortens your life, dearie. Just saying. It's great money and great experience and autonomy---but life in general is a grey blur with never a real chance to rest and recover.

If I had to choose days or nights exclusively--and no choice on time start?

I'd find another line of work. Which I just did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swellz has 6 years experience and specializes in oncology, MS/tele/stepdown.

1 Follower; 690 Posts; 9,950 Profile Views

You're so not crazy. If my body tolerated nightshift I'd do nights and be happier for it. Alas, it's the dayshift life for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 962 Posts; 6,785 Profile Views

On 8/5/2019 at 4:26 AM, TitaniumPlates said:

You're not crazy. Shift diff. No management. Autonomy. Most of the patients are sleeping (or should be, unless you are ER). No meetings or "committees" that you can get roped into. Shift diff. Did I mention shift diff?

I don't like 7p-7a. I have no idea why that shift and it's counter part ever was developed as a rational start/end time. 9a-9p and vice versa. 11a-11p and vice versa. You miss all of the crap on both sides--no traffic either way and you get to go home for a decent nights' sleep.

I was noon-midnight for many years. Loved it. You get a bit of days and a bit of evenings and some extra scratch in the check for the "after hours". It's always hoppin' so the shift goes quickly. Not too much exposure to admin, just enough to get a problem worked out with the manager who always seems to be able to scoot out the door before the 7p crew gets in.

I am the weirdo of the nursing world where I would prefer 3-11p 5 days a week or even 2p-midnight 4 days a week. I don't like this 12 hour that is actually 15 hour when you factor in being forced to come in a half hour early for shift change, the Flo that has to have the life story of ALL the patients you're handing off (sometimes 6!) so your report is 45 minutes long...or the call outs that the manager "just now remembered" as you're sitting waiting for relief and no one comes.

Nah. Give me evenings--or give me noon-midnight. Nights shortens your life, dearie. Just saying. It's great money and great experience and autonomy---but life in general is a grey blur with never a real chance to rest and recover.

If I had to choose days or nights exclusively--and no choice on time start?

I'd find another line of work. Which I just did.

For now it is nursing for me and nights, if something changes that is non nursing I may be open to day shift. I am staying with this shift because for once in my life I feel at peace. I don't feel like quitting nursing. I feel I have a little more left in me to contribute to the field and also make decent money to pay my bills. You made some great points. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.