First off, thank you to whomever started this thread. Yes, we are in competition as new grads, but ultimately it will be your turn. Plus the most qualified candidate will get it no matter what, so passing info on to the person that might be best for the position is only the right thing to do. This unnecessary competition was the part of nursing school that I least appreciated, because we went through some of our toughest years together, but when it came to getting hired nobody wanted to share any information. Anyways, here is what I currently know about the Bay Area and Sacto new grad situations:
- John Muir-Walnut Creek has posted its new grad program starting in August 2009, but it is only internal now and from what I am hearing it will probably stay that way for this round of hiring. The August 2009 class is rumored to be less than 10 people (compared to the usual 15-20). I don't have as good information for the Concord campus, but I have heard that there might be a hiring freeze, thus no new grad program at that campus. However, I also heard that if there is one at the Concord campus that it will most likely be only internal too. The next round of hiring, if there is one, would be around December for the February 2010 new grad program.
- UC Davis just posted an OR Training program. Their positions only stay posted for a week so apply now if you want a chance. They post position frequently so check back or setup the job agent to email you when new grad positions open (i.e.- they just had 4 positions last week on the transplant and trauma nursing units and it emailed me). I met their recruiter at a job fair and she emphasized the importance of a well thought out, specific cover letter and resume (just as a head up). My former classmate that works there said they are planning to start their new grad orientation in July so I anticipate more postings, as they do unit-specific posting.
- San Ramon Valley is still posted, but I do not know much else about that. Other Tenet Hospitals: Doctor's in Modesto just posted its new grad program, but I do not know if it is still posted.
- Standford was rumored to be posting their new grad position on May 1st, but it is still not posted so I don't know whats going on with that.
- CHW- they just hired at Methodist in Sacramento and Mecry San Juan in Sacramento. I heard that they may post some positions at Mercy Folsom, but I don't know any of the specifics. If you are willing to relocate Mercy Southwest and Mercy Hospital in Bakersfield, they just posted like 10 positions mostly Med-Surg, some tele and one ICU. There is also one med-surg still posted for French hospital in SLO probably still leftover from the other postions they just had posted last week.
- Kaiser- I am not really connected into that circle, so anyone with information please share.
- Dameron in Stockton started its first Versant program in Februray so we could possibly see another hiring soon or they might make it an annual or PRN thing (I haven't heard anything as of yet). However, they are one of those organizations that looks at your geography so if you do not live close you probably won't be considered.
-Sutter, as whole, does not do new grad programs unless the hospital makes an effort to form their own (i.e.- Eden in Castro Valley did a hiring earlier in February) so its just a matter of applying to to entry-level positions for most of their facilities. Their HR website is all-encompassing so you can search all the facilities at the same time and if one were to have a new grad program it would probably show up along with the entry-level positions.
- Alameda County is on "hiring freeze" and so is Contra Costa. However, Contra Costa maitains a ranking list for when they eventually start hiring again. For Contra Casta, you can still submit your info and take the pharmacology test.
- San Francisco General just hired for a couple training programs so they probably won't have anything posted for a while, but the Critical Care Training program is stilled posted in the SF Dept. of Public Health so that might still be hiring. You could always go to the city of SF and do the whole ranking thing, but from what I have heard the DPH way is more effective.
Hope this helps and Good Luck Everyone!!!!