Jump to content
2019 Nursing Salary Survey Read more... ×

Are We Too PC?

Nurses Article   (11,083 Views 198 Comments 709 Words)

traumaRUs has 25 years experience as a MSN, APRN and works as a Asst Community Manager @ allnurses.

513 Likes; 14 Followers; 127 Articles; 185,045 Visitors; 20,520 Posts

advertisement

Have we become a nation of slugs, so offended by a simple old-time Christmas song that we want to ban it from the radio? Where does this leave us in real life? You are reading page 17 of Are We Too PC?. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

nursej22 has 30 years experience as a MSN, RN and works as a royal pain in the tuchus.

81 Likes; 1 Follower; 33,699 Visitors; 1,231 Posts

25 minutes ago, offlabel said:

 

So? The 10 Commandments are carved into the doors (I think its the doors) of the Supreme Court building. They're all over Washington, DC. Like it or not the origin of the United States was in the context of a very specific religious world view. Change that, change the US. Not claiming something else would not be better, but if you remove that context, you own whatever comes next..

Interestingly, there are multiple figures around the entrance to the Supreme Court, one of which is Moses, but there is also Confucius and Solon. Plus several supreme court justices. 

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/buildingfeatures.aspx

I have visited Washington D.C. a couple of times and have not seen carvings of the 10 Commandments. The origin of the USA was in part based on Christianity, but also on slavery, which to me indicates sometimes its okay to move away from the founders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

97 Likes; 1 Follower; 11,576 Visitors; 1,250 Posts

1 hour ago, nursej22 said:

Interestingly, there are multiple figures around the entrance to the Supreme Court, one of which is Moses, but there is also Confucius and Solon. Plus several supreme court justices. 

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/buildingfeatures.aspx

I have visited Washington D.C. a couple of times and have not seen carvings of the 10 Commandments. The origin of the USA was in part based on Christianity, but also on slavery, which to me indicates sometimes its okay to move away from the founders. 

That part of the US economy depended on slavery is not equivalent to the constitutional basis for the government being founded on slavery. There were founding fathers that were anti-slavery, but because of weakness and expediency, they acquiesced. The United States was no more founded on slavery than it is sustained today by abortion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nursej22 has 30 years experience as a MSN, RN and works as a royal pain in the tuchus.

81 Likes; 1 Follower; 33,699 Visitors; 1,231 Posts

1 hour ago, offlabel said:

That part of the US economy depended on slavery is not equivalent to the constitutional basis for the government being founded on slavery. There were founding fathers that were anti-slavery, but because of weakness and expediency, they acquiesced. The United States was no more founded on slavery than it is sustained today by abortion.

Hmm, okay. I thought you were talking about the origins of the United States, and now you have switched to the constitution. You do realize that many of the founders/writers were slave owners, right?  (Washington and Jefferson were, at least).  And that they wrote in a clause (article 1, section 2) to allow slave owners to count 3/5 of their slaves for the purpose of representation. 

Sorry, I am not understanding you equating slavery to abortion. Slavery allowed much of this country to be settled and generated a lot of wealth for white landowners. How do you compare that to the loss or removal of a pregnancy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

vetpharmtech has 1 years experience.

9 Likes; 541 Visitors; 112 Posts

1 hour ago, nursej22 said:

Hmm, okay. I thought you were talking about the origins of the United States, and now you have switched to the constitution. You do realize that many of the founders/writers were slave owners, right?  (Washington and Jefferson were, at least).  And that they wrote in a clause (article 1, section 2) to allow slave owners to count 3/5 of their slaves for the purpose of representation. 

Sorry, I am not understanding you equating slavery to abortion. Slavery allowed much of this country to be settled and generated a lot of wealth for white landowners. How do you compare that to the loss or removal of a pregnancy?

People like offlabel are the reason I don't want to be around Christians who wear their religion on their sleeves. I hope that I would not encounter a nurse like that person. When I am sick, the last thing in my mind is to respond to "I will pray to Jesus for your soul" with "I am not a Christian. You are a jerk."

I bet with you that Christians like offlabel would aggressively protest when they see these monuments instead of the 10 commandments.

 

Quote

 

  1. Truth is eternal.
  2. Brahman is Truth and Reality.
  3. The Vedas are the ultimate authority.
  4. Everyone should strive to achieve dharma.
  5. ndividual souls are immortal.
  6. The goal of the individual soul is moksha.

 

 

 

Quote

Four noble truths

  1. Suffering
  2. The cause of suffering
  3. The end of suffering
  4. The path

Even though I was not born in the USA, I don’t remember ever seeing any mention of the 10 commandments when I studied for my citizenship exam. I guess some Christians including nurses are butthurt with the fact that they have to share space with people who practice a religion different from theirs.

Do you remember about the incident of Rajan Zed’s invocation and Venkatachalapathi Samuldrala's prayer receiving protest from Christians?

Question “are we too pc” can be applied in this incident. Are we too pc? No, we aren’t.

In fact, Christians protested all over the place because a spiritual invocation came from a Hindu priest. They were not too pc at all. When people pushed back at them by stating that this country is not a Christian theocracy, Christians said they were forced to be pc.

Hypocrisy at its best.

Edited by vetpharmtech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Like; 1 Follower; 4,664 Visitors; 373 Posts

13 hours ago, nursej22 said:

Hmm, okay. I thought you were talking about the origins of the United States, and now you have switched to the constitution. You do realize that many of the founders/writers were slave owners, right?  (Washington and Jefferson were, at least).  And that they wrote in a clause (article 1, section 2) to allow slave owners to count 3/5 of their slaves for the purpose of representation. 

Sorry, I am not understanding you equating slavery to abortion. Slavery allowed much of this country to be settled and generated a lot of wealth for white landowners. How do you compare that to the loss or removal of a pregnancy?

Not to be too off topic but although Jefferson was a slave owner, as were many wealthy individuals living in Virginia at the time, he actually attacked slavery and desired an end to the practice. Unfortunately, the southern colony economies required slavery at the time due to labor intensive agricultural practices, so abolishing slavery would have meant there would have been no union between north and south. The hope was that in a generation or two the union would figure out a way to abolish slavery.

 

I guess P.C. was considered even back then.

Edited by Flatline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

168 Visitors; 11 Posts

I think you should take a deep look at yourself if you are doubting marginalized groups abilities to articulate their experience accurately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×