Skin care question - page 2

I am a new grad - I hope to get into ET WOC some day, right now I am in med surge trying to learn all I can. My question is what are some things I can do to really help my patient's skin, I am... Read More

  1. by   ayla2004
    tissue viability i'm a student nurse in the UK and wound care is an area i feel that i need to know more about. i've a question i've seen americans refer to wet to dry which i think we don;t do.
    i can do a dressing change and when i know the patient can suggest an apporiate dressing however the DN whom i learned most from said in the end the dressing suits the patient and a little magic can be involved.
  2. by   tissue viability
    Hi
    What year in your training are you
    Wet to dry dressing were banned by 'NICE' in 1991 and again in 2003-as it involves puttiong a wet dressing onto a wound, letting it dry out then ripping it off-not only is it painful it goes against the well cited 'moist wound healing' research and causes trauma to newly developing cells.
    All wound care should be evidence based but it is important to involve your patient with their treatment as it is their body their choice and helps with patient compliance.
    95% of a wound is healed by the body-the other 5% is the dressing-so they only aide wound healing. As for wounds healing by magic-I'm not sure if something went wrong that it would stand up in court. We are in very litigaous times and every we do must show planning, aim, goal and evaluation.
    If you live within a reasonal distance to essex feel free to join our study days-I can be contacted at kerstie.metcalf@btuh.nhs.uk:smilecoffeeIlovecof
  3. by   sequelae
    as a general rule, stay away from scented ones because greater irritations come from them. there are products that seal in moisture, those are the ones to use for dry cracked skin
  4. by   ayla2004
    Quote from tissue viability
    Hi
    What year in your training are you
    Wet to dry dressing were banned by 'NICE' in 1991 and again in 2003-as it involves puttiong a wet dressing onto a wound, letting it dry out then ripping it off-not only is it painful it goes against the well cited 'moist wound healing' research and causes trauma to newly developing cells.
    All wound care should be evidence based but it is important to involve your patient with their treatment as it is their body their choice and helps with patient compliance.
    95% of a wound is healed by the body-the other 5% is the dressing-so they only aide wound healing. As for wounds healing by magic-I'm not sure if something went wrong that it would stand up in court. We are in very litigaous times and every we do must show planning, aim, goal and evaluation.
    If you live within a reasonal distance to essex feel free to join our study days-I can be contacted at kerstie.metcalf@btuh.nhs.uk:smilecoffeeIlovecof
    I'm a 2nd year and in manchester. What i think the DN meant by magic is the combination of the patient and the wound being adided by the dressing and the care, evidence can suggest a dressing but it has to suit the patient and their lifestlyle. with surgical wounds or tramua wounds often the drssing works and you can see improvement to discharge the patients. the DN often has chronic wound that would almost heal but would regress, maybe they thought that the patient pychologial mindframe wasn't there for healing, espically in anxious or in lonely isolated older patients whose dressing didn't stay in place perhaps due to tampering.
    i also have seen grade 3-4 ulcers while as a care assistant in a nursing home that never quite healed, once they set in in frail elderly senile residents, and worse in a hospital pt needing vac therapy didn't like being turned limbs in rigid postions and diet and fluids taken poorly.
    Last edit by ayla2004 on Mar 26, '07

close