RN - From India
- 0Feb 3, '08 by kwsa78Hello Out there,
I am Shabi a Registered Nurse from India (DGNM Diplamo in General Nursing and Midwifery) and Currently in Texas, US with L2 Visa and Autherised to work in US. I need some advise for becoming a RN here. Please guide me with some input on what are the steps involved in becoming so.
I have some information on NCLEX, but I am not sure If I need to do CGFNS or Is there any other procedures involved. In India, we generally take CGFNS and then we take NCLEX but not sure how it works where we are here.
Appreciate your help!
- 4,743 Views
- 1Feb 4, '08 by suzanne4Texas does not require the CGFNS exam, but they do require the CES which is a credentials eval done by CGFNS. That must be completed before they will even look at your application. And once approved, you will have to write the NCLEX exam.
Please read the primer that is found in a sticky at the top of this fprum for much information that you need to have.
CGFNS exam is only required for a hand full of states now, especially not needed since the NCLEX exam is offered all over the world as well.
Licensure and immigration are two very different things, you will still need to follow the requirements for a foreign nurse to get licensed here.
- 0Feb 5, '08 by kwsa78Thanks so much for your prompt response Suzanne. Really appreciate it. Sure I will go thru the Primer info. I also saw FAQ on NCLEX for Texas State, where I found this line and I couldnt understand. Please guide me, the quote says -
An applicant educated outside the United States must provide the Board with an original Credential Evaluation Service (CES) Course-by Course report prior to being approved to take the NCLEX examination. The documentation must be sent directly from the approved CES organization.
Sorry if it is a silly question.
- 0Feb 6, '08 by suzanne4Quote from kwsa78Thanks so much for your prompt response Suzanne. Really appreciate it. Sure I will go thru the Primer info. I also saw FAQ on NCLEX for Texas State, where I found this line and I couldnt understand. Please guide me, the quote says -
- How do I approach a CES to send my documentation directly to Board.? Could you please throw some light on it.
Sorry if it is a silly question.
When you complete the application for the CES, it asks for two places that you want the report sent to and you just need to list the Texas BON as one of your recipients.
More than the two, and they charge a fee for that.
And would definitely recommend to use CGFNS for the credentials eval as they are accepted by all states, and some of the other private companies are not. Also if you wish to go on with your schooling, the CES is also accepted my most universities.
Best of luck to you, please let me know if you have any more questions. Please be aware that since you have a visa that will permit you to work, you do not need to obtain a Visa Screen Certificate unless you plan on applying for the green card (permanent residency) later on.
- 0Mar 12, '08 by kwsa78Hi Suzanne,
How are you doing?
As you recommended I would like to do my CES with CGFNS.
Before doing that, I just have few questions here.
1. My Complete name is SHABI, KAMAL MOINUDDIN (First name, Last name as in passport) but my Nursing Cerficates has only K SHABI (Initial of Last name-not expanded) Will this be a problem while doing my CES?
2. For CES, Which option I need to chose?
i. Full Education Course-By-Course Report
ii. Healthcare Profession & Science Report
Thanks for your help.