WGU's New MSN curriculumRegister Today!
- by LoneStar1908 Jul 17I'm planning on starting my MSN in September. The new MSN curriculum is now posted online on the college's website. It appears that the entire program has changed and is now 38 credits. I wanted to complete the program in a year, but that doesn't seem possible with the changes. I am also worried about possible issues with the new classes and format. I was excited about WGU because of the low cost, and competency based learning. Now I'm wondering if a more structured program might be better. Anyone plan on starting soon, or have any thoughts about the changes?
- 3,719 Views
- Jul 17 by skoolrnI'm just finishing my BSN and have completed 5 courses of the MSN. NONE of the courses I've taken are in the new MSN program. I'm glad I'm "grandfathered" into the current MSN program.
- Jul 18 by Bortaz, RNThe new class listing is hideous. Probably going to discourage me from attending.
- Jul 18 by stunnakekeI agree it is different
- Jul 18 by 2bTraumaRN2008Glad I have no intentions of going that far....what is so different about it?
- Jul 18 by LoneStar1908Yes, the program has completely changed. Like Skoolrn said, ALL of the classes are new. The addition of the 3 P's and practicum wouldn't be an issue if they might be useful in an NP program. But they way the courses are titled and the amount of credits earned, may cause an issue with transfer. I appreciate the feedback.
- Jul 18 by paradiseboundRNHere is some info if you are currently in the RN-BSN program and may want to switch.
I'm currently in the RN-BSN program and was considering the MSN education track before these changes. I called my mentor about the changes and she said that students can change tracks in between semesters. My semester ends in September 30th and the new MSN programs may or may not launch in September. If I finish the semester before they launch than I can change to RN-MSN and be grandfathered into the old RN-MSN program. I'm not going to be heartbroken if I'm not able to do the old program, but if I can, I'll take advantageous of it. The person to call at WGU regarding changing your bridge program is Mary Pugmire.
- Jul 18 by meanmaryjeanI understand that by adding the 3 P's - they are actually ahead of a looming accreditation requirement for MSN programs.
I actually wish I could go back and take them.
And the practicum WAS part of the program previously, was taken out, and this is a reinstatement.
- Jul 25 by Bruce_WayneFor those of us that don't know what 3P is, will you please tell me?