Anyone using a ChromeBook?
- 0Just wondering, has anyone been using the new ChromeBook to do any of their work for WGU? I'm thinking about getting one and just wondering if it would work... Thanks
- 5,460 Visits
- 0Quote from Jess6The only problem I can think of would be Chrome's java incompatibility, not sure if any of WGU's learning resources utilize java...Following, because I'm not a WGU student yet, but am using a ChromeBook
(I really hope that whatever they use is platform-independent. I haven't used Windows on a home computer in 15 years.)
- 3Quote from skoolrnThe fact that people still use IE boggles my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I use a Macbook Pro BUT the assessments via webcam aren't compatible so I have to use my Dell. Also, certain learning resources within some classes aren't Mac compatible or aren't Chrome or Safari or IE 10 compatible. Some are Firefox or IE9.
- 0Jun 16, '13 by ShondaJYou can't do Microsoft documents on the chromebook. My daughter has one that her dad bought her for Christmas and it has been useless because the work that needs to be done on a computer can't be done. She has to use the home desktop or my laptop to do her papers.
It is pretty much for web browsing and using apps. I don't like and would never buy on myself.
If you are doing papers, you won't be able to do them on a Chromebook.
- 0Jun 16, '13 by Bruce_WayneI use a Chromebook too! My start date is on July 1st 2013.
I was not able to do my "readiness assessment" on my chromebook because that test uses Java. I have been able to log into "My WGU" with my chromebook but as of yet I haven't done any of the classes. Soon I'm going to make my first payment and it will let me into "Education Without Boundaries" and then I'll have a better idea of whether or not the chromebook will work with the classes.
About the microsoft office documents: you can open them with google docs. Also WGU gives you a google account which includes gmail and docs. Also all papers are turned in with the "RTF" format which google docs can do. Also libreoffice, open office, wordpad, abiword, and many other free programs can make RTF files.
Another issue I'm concerned about is whether or not the WGU webcam will work with the chromebook. I will just have to wait and see.