Washington Hospital Center October 2012 Residency - page 2
by AshleyBSN | 17,199 Views | 30 Comments
Hi! I just wanted to start a thread on here for everybody else who got into the October Residency! Congrats to everyone who is already in, and Good Luck to everyone else interviewing this week :)... Read More
- 0Sep 6, '12 by 1FANCYRNQuote from AshleyBSNHi Ashley BSNHi!
I just wanted to start a thread on here for everybody else who got into the October Residency!
Congrats to everyone who is already in, and Good Luck to everyone else interviewing this week
I got an offer for an interview September 13, if anyone knows anything that they thought helped them get in, I would appreciate it... I been looking for a job since I graduated last year, I really hope I'm able to be apart of this opportunity I really want to be a part of a teaching hospital.
- 0Sep 6, '12 by PolaBar, BSN, RNI don't know of ways to make yourself better than other candidates other than the basic interview stuff. In my interview, I had a chance to talk with some of the floor nurses. I think part of a good interview experience is to be sort of yourself. Relax. Have questions in mind that you want to ask. What is the staffing on the unit. How long do other nurses stay. Ask others what interests them, personally, in that aspect of nursing. Engage the people you're interviewing with. Remember, it isn't all about them hiring you, but you also choosing to work somewhere. Get an idea about why you want to work in that kind of unit, as opposed to others. The answer is not "I want to get my foot in the door/a year of med-surg experience". Have an idea for your short-term and long-term 'goals', but remember not to make everything sound too set in stone.
- 3Sep 8, '12 by elBSNHello all! I applied for the October 2012 RN Residency program - top 3 choices 1) cardiac surgery step-down 2) cardiovascular step-down 3) medicine cardiology. I would be well researched before the interview and always professional. I personalized my resume and cover letter specifically to the hospital. I am not sure if these things helped me get selected, but they can't hurt.
I received an offer for the October 2012 residency on 4F-cardiac surgery step-down! I am moving from Colorado, so I will be looking for advice and a roommate or two! Good luck!! I hope to be seeing some of you in October
- 1Sep 9, '12 by 1FANCYRNQuote from outragedi requested intermediate care, surgical/transplant/orthopedic, and medicine/pulmonary, i got offered to interview for medicine/pulmonary this week... Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!for those of you who have been interviewed already or are about to interview, what units did you request?
- 0Sep 16, '12 by New2DCHi elBSN,
I will be interviewing for the same unit this week. Any advice? They told me I would be discussing benefits before the interview. Did you do that too? I know there is a union at WHC, so is there any room for negotiation or is the offer a take it or leave it situation?
Also, did they give you anything to do before the Oct 22nd start date besides the physical? Or are you just enjoying the time off until then?
- 0Sep 16, '12 by PolaBar, BSN, RNYou'll need to have your DC license before starting (as well as current CPR). The union has set wages, so it is a 'take-it-or-leave-it' situation for staff nurses. The union is mandatory. I think normally they do the discussion of benefits/interview with HR first. In my case, for whatever reason, I interviewed on the unit first (due to some scheduled meetings). You need a 2-step PPD to start working (You can get the first PPD shortly before, and the 2nd during orientation week, on your own time, at Occ Health). I am under the impression that at least 1 of the PPDs must be done though Occ health. You also need flu shots (and all the other normal vaccinations).