Switching from a MD license to a DC licenseRegister Today!
- by tgary08 Jan 22, '11I have an issue...I applied to be licensed in MD, everything went through and I am waiting to take the NCLEX in a week. However, I was just offered a position in DC. I am wondering how would I go about switcing over to a DC license. Should I just wait until after I have passed the NCLEX next week (fingers crossed)? Is that what applying for endorsement means?
- Jan 23, '11 by kacefaceRNFrom my personal experience, getting your license endorsed in DC is very easy, especially if you can go to the BON in person. I did something very similar-got a job offer in DC and had already signed up for the NCLEX in VA. I went ahead and took the NCLEX in VA and as soon as I had my license number, I walked right into the BON with my money and my other paperwork, waited about 30 minutes, and walked out with a DC license in-hand. Just follow the directions on the DC BON website and you should be fine!
- Jan 28, '11 by ashnemDid you have to get paperwork mailed to you from MD or could you just get your number off the site to take to DC? How long from NCLEX test date to lic. # posted on MD BON? Does DC require background and fingerprint too or is what you did for MD transfer over to them? Sorry so many questions I just really need this job and if I get it I don't want paperwork to put me in jeopardy!
- Jan 28, '11 by tgary08Ashnem Im in the same situation as you with needing my license switched over ASAP after taking the NCLEX next week. I test on 2/2 and need a DC license by 2/15. I called the DC BON and I was told that we would need to be re-fingerprinted in DC (waste of money, I know). The total cost for endorsment in DC will cost $310 which includes $30 fee to use an online verification system. They will issue us a temporary license that will alow us to work until the results of our background check come through. Hope this helped somewhat.
- Feb 4, '11 by ashnemQuote from tgary08Are you testing in MD? If so please let me know how long it takes for MD to post lic. #. When the recruiter offered me the job last night she seemed concerned. I really don't want to loose this opportunity! My offer letter said DC lic to them by Tues before start date. I moved my test date up from the 12th to the 9th. Still seems kind of short to have DC lic by the 15th! AAAHHHHHH!Ashnem Im in the same situation as you with needing my license switched over ASAP after taking the NCLEX next week. I test on 2/2 and need a DC license by 2/15. I called the DC BON and I was told that we would need to be re-fingerprinted in DC (waste of money, I know). The total cost for endorsment in DC will cost $310 which includes $30 fee to use an online verification system. They will issue us a temporary license that will alow us to work until the results of our background check come through. Hope this helped somewhat.
- Feb 7, '11 by tgary08I tested on the 2nd and as of today, the 7th I still do not have a license number. Trying to get in contact with anyone at MBON is like pulling teeth. I called various numbers today, left messages, and sent emails asking if the process could be expidited. Hopefully I'll hear from someone tomorrow. I'm concerned and I have a week so I can only imagine how you are feeling. Maybe you should contact the board and explain your situation and see if they can do anything to help with the short amount of time you have. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
- Feb 8, '11 by cuperctar1I tested on Feb 5th and my MBON license # appeared today. I had all the paperwork (app, background check completed,etc) done already. They had told me in about 2 days it should show up online when u search for my license. Now I have to go on the NURSY( online verification) and make it avail. to DC. Tomorrow Im going to the DC board to get my license ( the same day they will give me a temp. license). I think u will have ur license by the 12th especially if u have ur background check n etc. done with MD...
- Feb 8, '11 by cuperctar1Update...although my license shows on MBON..it doesn't show on NURSY(online verification). I called n they said it will show up there on Thurs.. So I will go to DC board on Thur/Fri..I think MD may transmit info to the verification weekly, but I would check to make sure they are able to transmit ur license to NURSY system in enough time to go to DC board..
- Feb 8, '11 by tgary08WOW!! I wonder if they looked over my name. I completed my background check about a month ago and tested on the 2nd. Hopefully my license number will be posted tomorrow so that I can go to DC BON Thursday or Friday as well. How did you get in contact with anyone? I have called every number possible.
- Feb 9, '11 by cuperctar1Hey,
Under contact info on the MBON website. I clicked departmental phone number and emails and picked a number/name of a person in the department that I was looking for. Hope the info helps you to accomplish your goal.