Anyone know of any NON-DENOMINATIONAL organizations?
- 0Dec 14, '06 by michelle*rn*Hi,
I am looking for short term overseas volunteer work (less than 3 months).
Preferrably, no user fee and definitely not religiously affiliated. All the links here seem to be for mission work.
I live in Canada, BTW.
- 0Check out Medecin sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders).
However, please read "Hope In Hell" Inside the World of Doctors Without Borders by Dan Bortolotti.
I belong to a group that goes to Vietnam. We are affiliated with a Christian group though.
- 1Dec 19, '06 by love2babbeAnother group that is not affiliated with a religion is International Medical Corps, which will accept volunteers for shorter periods than MSF. They will accept volunteers for their disaster response team, or for a general international volunteer for a minimum period of 2 months..here is a link and you can continue to research it. Good luck! Abbe International Medical Corps | Privacy Statement
- 1Dec 20, '06 by stevemctry these south american orgs; they all have medical volunteer programs
of one sort or another, 3 months or less with little or no admin fees:
www.hampy.org (cusco , peru)
www.aktenamit.org (guatemala) - 3 months min for clinic volunteers
there are more volunteer options on the link below:
free and low-cost volunteer work in south america
- 0Jan 8, '07 by blueberrybonSomos Amigos Medical Missions is a non-religous group. Though the original members belonged to a jesuit college.
They go on VERY short trips to the Dominican Republic (8 day trips) twice a year currently, soon to be three or four times per year.
I'm going for the first time leaving this Friday! I'm nervous and excited. This will be my very first trip of this kind.
Here is an info website: hoyasonline: Somos Amigos Medical Missions | Alumni Spotlight
Any tips for this sort of travel would be welcome. I will most likely be an intake nurse doing vitals.