Sentara College of Health Sciences - BSN Program - 3.2 GPA good enough?
- 0Apr 29, '12 by lyssadimesHey guys,
I just finished the last pre-requisites needed for the Traditional BSN program at Sentara. The application deadline is June 8 and I'm applying as soon as I get my final grades from this semester at TCC. Sentara now only requires the pre-requisites GPA and not the cumulative. I calculated mine and it turns out to be 3.2 GPA. I know nursing programs are very competitive and because of that, I'm worried that my GPA won't be enough to be considered in the program. I have been told that Sentara's factors of acceptance are based on the GPA and the pre-admission (TEAS) test score. Though I'm confident that I'll score high in the TEAS test, I'm still worried that my GPA won't be good enough for the program. I am hoping and praying that I do get a high score in the TEAS test so that maybe that can somehow overshadow my rather low GPA.
If any of you are current Sentara students in the Traditional BSN program or students in any BSN program, do you guys think that a 3.2 GPA will be good enough? Or do I need to re-take some classes to raise my GPA?
I would like to retake some classes to raise my GPA; however, if I do, I would start the BSN program in August 2014 instead of August 2013 and graduate in 2016 instead of 2015. I'm honestly not trying to spend all my time in school. I just want to get my BSN degree already and start my career.
I would really appreciate your feedback.
- 0May 26, '12 by lyssadimesQuote from JPeruAll my pre-requisites are completed and I turned in my BSN program application. All I need to do is take the TEAS test and that'll be in about a week and a half. I'm hoping to get a high TEAS score so that can somehow overshadow my GPA. I'm not sure if I can re-take some classes over to raise my GPA since I completed all of my pre-reqs already. I'll definitely ask though.I think you should be fine. You apply to the college first, then take their 5 prerequisites. After that you are considered for admission into the Nursing program. After taking the classes, it raised my GPA to 3.5, so you still have time to raise yours. Hope this helps
Thank you so much for responding! Your comment really made me a lot better and gave me some hope Good luck with everything, and thank you again!
- 0Jul 10, '12 by lyssadimesQuote from Jmtagg623Hey Jolena!Hi Alyssa,
I just wanted to know if you got accepted or not, if you don't mind me asking. I got accepted to the program for the Jan 2013 start date and am just kind of looking around to see who my fellow students will be.
First off, CONGRATS on getting accepted! Unfortunately, I didn't get accepted due to my TEAS test score. I was going to take it twice; however, I only took it once due to personal reasons. On the day I was supposed to take the 1st test, I was terribly sick so I couldn't take it. On the 2nd test, I wasn't feeling good either. I was going through a lot at the time. BUT it's okay, I'm not sad or upset. I'm far from discouraged! I'm applying for the next group, the 2014 start date. Also, I'm retaking some classes either this semester or spring semester so that I can raise my GPA a bit.
If you don't mind me asking, what was your TEAS test score and GPA? I'm just trying to see if I really do have a shot on getting accepted. *crosses fingers*
Anyway, I'm sure you'll do amazing! By the way, have you finished the Care Partner course yet? If not, I'm selling my uniform (top - Medium and bottom - Large). I also have the book for sale. Let me know if you're interested!
- 0Hi Alyssa,
Im sorry to hear that you did not get in! But that just means more time to study right? I have a firend applying for the 2014 start date too, maybe you both will get in! Do you mind me asking what you got on your TEAS V test? Im very surprised that I was accepted. I have a 3.1 GPA for the 5 core classes, which isn't great. Im a straight A student except for in the science classes. My TEAS V scores were okay I believe. I didn't have much time to study because I didn't submit my application until 2 weeks before it was due. My first test I scored an 82 or 83% I believe. My second I was sick with a sinus infection and my score actually went down 1%!! It was terrible. Anyway, my highest percentile rank was 92nd nationally and 84th within the program. Im really curious as to how many students were accepted this year, and if not many applied and thats why I was accepted with the grades I have. I guess I will find out at orientation later this year.
I am interested in the books and uniform, but I will let you know for sure after Care Partner registration next week. Thank you!
- 0Oh I also wanted to tell you if you didn't know already, you can definitely retake your classes. TCC averages your grades together for their program, but Sentara only looks at the HIGHEST grade you have. So if it would make you feel better, definitely retake them and try for a higher grade, but remember they only look at 5 classes (A&P 1&2, Chem, English, and Statistics I think)
- 0Jul 10, '12 by lyssadimesQuote from Jmtagg623Hopefully we do, best of luck to your friend! Eh, my score is REALLY low. My adjusted individual total score was a 58.0% which is most definitely crappy. I knew I wasn't going to get accepted after I was done with the test. It's okay though, things happen for a reason! I'll definitely study harder and prepare myself. Unfortunately, Sentara's currently not a TEAS testing site. It sucks because that means I'll have to take it outside of the school and it costs about $110 to test. So expensive! Anyway, I have B's in my 5 core classes except for A&P II which I have a C in.Oh I also wanted to tell you if you didn't know already, you can definitely retake your classes. TCC averages your grades together for their program, but Sentara only looks at the HIGHEST grade you have. So if it would make you feel better, definitely retake them and try for a higher grade, but remember they only look at 5 classes (A&P 1&2, Chem, English, and Statistics I think)
Also, thanks! I'm planning on retaking 4 out of the 7 core classes and that should give me at least a 3.5 GPA on the core classes and a 3.6 GPA overall. Oh and it's 7 now because they recently added Comp I and Comp II to the previous 5.
No problem, just shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org about the books and uniform!
- 0Jul 12, '12 by lyssadimesQuote from Jmtagg623Thank you! Also, do you happen to still have ATI's Study Manual for the TEAS test? If so, if you're planning on selling it. I'll be happy to buy it from you!My friend told me they changed some stuff. So frustrating! And did they recently stop doing the teas testing because I did both of mine there the end of May. Anyways, good luck!!