RN and CHKD - Page 2Register Today!
- Oct 3, '08 by the six of usI am completely with you on the terminally ill....I have a hard time dealing with that and after reading some of the posts on here and crying my eyes out, I question my ability as well. I came into wanting to be a nurse because I wanted to be a neonatal nurse practitioner....but after hearing some of the stories, I just dont know if that is for me right now in my life. I may be able to do it later on in life, I just need to see how it all goes. That is why I looked into being a CNM, but I keep going back and fourth as to what direction I want to go....I guess I will not be truly sure until I test the waters! I like the orientation that CHKD offers new nurses and that is why I was looking in that direction...also, I know a friend of mine who is an Occupational Therapist at CHKD and she really likes working there! Good luck tomorrow and let me know how it goes.
- Oct 5, '08 by L&D~VBNurse2BWell I came away from Sentara knowing now which school I have chosen. While I really wanted to go to Sentara, I found out at the Open House that if I don't get accepted to the August 09 class (of 120) then I will not be able to apply again until August 2010. They are not even conducting the Jan 10 class because they expect at that time to be transistioning to teh BSN program. At this stage in my life, I cannot take 10 months of Pre Reqs to possibly get in to a program.
With MCI and Sentara Grads being comparable in most opinions, I am gonna go with MCI and get on with it.
That being said, I am going to contact the Admissions Officer I spoke to tomorrow to see about placing out of 2 of 3 of their pre reqs! I am hoping to apply to the January session. Oh, did I mention that my sister in law will be attending there also? I hope that I can convince her to start in January rather than wait till May. We'll see.
About not knowing if you can handle NICU, I think you are right about "testing the waters". Who knows, you may hate NICU but LOVE something else. There are so many things you can do as an RN all of which you wont know until you try! All of our fears are the same and that probably goes for anyone thinking about this field.
Just trust your instincts, that 's all we have to go on anyway!
- Oct 6, '08 by the six of usGlad to hear back from you! That is a bummer about Sentara (good for them, bad for us...lol) By the time I would be able to enroll or attend their school, I will be done at MCI (if I get in). I was not required to take any of the 3 pre-reqs but I was told to make my chances of getting in stronger, to take the Chemistry class which I start on Oct. 20th. I transferred the other two classes in and I am hoping if I get accepted, to transfer in Comp I and Comp II. Which will help make my load a little less...and cost wise as well. I may be able to transfer Psychology too...I am not sure though. So, after the Jan class, they have a new one beginning in May? Because if that is the case and I dont get into the Jan class, I may try for the May class. Have you taken the MCI entrance test? I simply went in to ask about the program and she set me up on the 4 hour test...I was SO not prepared and not in the mind frame of taking a 4 hour test. I told her that I didnt feel I did as good as I could have because I simply just wanted information to see if the program was something I would be interested in and all she said was that they dont want you to be prepared! That is crazy! So I really didnt do too hot on the test and I think that may put me at that bottom of the list...I did good in math and got a 90%! Chemistry was my lowest. I do have other college credits and my GPA is a 3.77, if they even look at that...maybe it will help? Who knows! Well good luck with MCI and let me know if you get accepted
- Oct 6, '08 by L&D~VBNurse2BIt's so funny that you say that... I just spoke to her this a.m. and scheduled the 1st part of my test, I take it on Saturday. I am gonna get my Algebra and Computers transferred too! I really need to take the Chem as I have NEVER taken it before. Do you know what the essay is on yet?
She told me today that they have around 100 applicants but will probably only have around 80 when the time comes in January. I think we both have a good chance of getting in!
Wouldn't that be great, getting started and getting it over with?
- Oct 6, '08 by the six of usHey! I was told to write an essay on why I chose to pursue nursing, my most important accomplishment, my support system, my concerns about nursing and the program, and what do I have to add to the program and the field. I need to do mine before Wed.!!!! I am going to send you a private message....
- Oct 7, '08 by L&D~VBNurse2BSo I am a little concerned about the Chem Pre Req schedule. Are you doing days or nights?
I could do nights and still apply for January but I am only gonna do that if I can tranfer my other pre reqs in. I don't want to take thwm all at night as I will never see my kids! If I can't then I will be starting in May
becuase then I can take the day classes, as I will stop working Jan 1.
Also, I got the notes! I am gonna start reading them now to get a head start.
Questions... does the essay have to be on one of those topics or all of them and what kind of math is on the entrance exam?Last edit by L&D~VBNurse2B on Oct 7, '08 : Reason: forgot something
- Oct 7, '08 by the six of usI am doing my Chem pre-req at nights, I was told MWF and one Sat (not sure which Sat) from 5:30-10:30 pm....5 weeks long. The essay has to touch on each of those topics...I still need to do mine...maybe I can work on it tomorrow Check you messages...I will send you more info....
- Oct 8, '08 by L&D~VBNurse2BHey!
I called Kristen again to make sure, she told me Chem is MW 5:30-10:30 and every Sat. from 8-2:45..... You may want to double check with them on it! That's what I am leary of missing the rest of my son's football season, but my husband says to get it over with! So if I only have 1 class to take I will start on October 20!
- Oct 8, '08 by the six of usI will have to double check about that Friday stuff...and dang-it I just talked to her this morning...lol! I hope I dont go on Fri because my daughter wanted me to dress up with her on Halloween! She is going to be a nurse and wanted me to be her "twin" (so she says)...go figure! So if I dont go on Fri's then I wont miss it. I really hate missing stuff with my children and I have two step sons and two daughters...even though I dont have the step sons all the time...I do have to work around them though...and 3 out of the 4 are in gymnastics so that alone keeps me busy
- Jul 26, '09 by MandieMarieI graduate in 9 weeks from MCI in NN. Funny, I was reading up on RN PICU salaries at CHKD and found this thread. I just spent 13 long hours there today! I loved it but emotionally draining:heartbeat