asn vs bsn
- 0Jul 15, '10 by PATRICE87i dont know which one is better well i know with a bsn i could do more and pursue more. but i think getting an asn would at least get me through the door of my education and getting a job. once i get job further my education to A Master degree for nurse practitioner. adn as im working i could be at home taking bsn- msn program online while at home wtih my son. but i think me trying to jump straight into a bsn will be more challeging and more test to take to get in to a bsn degree program. my chances of getting a asn degree and getting into the degree program may be a little bit easier. then i could just do rn -msn. any advice
- 0Aug 9, '10 by CNUgirlI am in the same boat. I really want to get started on my RN and many BSN programs have more requirements and can be more expensive. I have also heard that they are more rigorous. Apparently VCU's accelerated BSN is really intense but then again it is only one year. I decided to apply to both types and make my decision based on where I am accepted, but my end goal is at least a BSN but preferably an MSN. Best of Luck!!!!!
- 0Aug 9, '10 by Pixie.RN, BSN, RN, EMT-P Senior ModeratorIt depends on where you are -- some hospitals/employers are showing a preference to BSN-educated nurses because there is a surplus of new grads, allowing employers to be more choosy about their new employees' education preparation. If ADNs are getting hired in your area, then your plan will work; if not, you might seriously consider going straight for a BSN. Good luck!!
- 0Aug 12, '10 by MsbossyRNI went adn first because it was quicker and less experience. I liked the idea of being able to get a job then work on my rn to bsn. Many of the programs are online. I am happy I choose to be an ADN first because I was a nurse in just 2 years. It will just take me 1 year to go from rn to bsn. So it is much quicker to me. But you have to figure out what works for you. It may be better just to get the bsn if you have the extra time and money. I was a single mom of two small children so I had to consider that.
- 0Aug 13, '10 by MsbossyRNQuote from PATRICE87Your welcome and good luck!thank u so much i thank the adn would be best for me beacuse, i have a 2 year old and rite now um just trying to get my foot in the door. and start makin the money. then i can go from adn to msn program. while i work. but thank u for the advice.