RN-BSN online at UTA Arlington
- 0Mar 16, '10 by sushiiHello everyone,
I just started my RN-BSN course at UTA online. The reason I chose this route is because UTA allows you to get into the program while you are still taking pre-requisites. However, I am finding the technical writing class (required), a little difficult and my academic advisor not very helpful. The instructions are not clear and I am feeling a little frustrated. The nursing courses are great, the advisor is very helpful and the instructions are clear. I just wanted to hear from other nurses out here who have been through this course at UTA or who are currently enrolled. Thanks!
- 34,278 Visits
- 0Mar 16, '10 by HouTx GuideI'm not familiar with their specific curriculum, but I am a 2X grad (BSN from San Antonio, MSN from Houston) of the UT system - so I imagine it's all about learning to write APA style. Is this right? If so, have you already purchased your APA manual/style guide?
If you have never had to write this way before it does seem really weird. Microsoft Word just hates it - LOL, you'll have to turn off your grammar checker. Everything must be passive voice - no first or second person EVER. All assertions must have a reference - basically, the writer knows nothing - everything must be drawn from other sources. On the 'plus' side - citations are much easier than other writing formats. If you haven't already done so, go to the library & check out some Master's theses or doctoral dissertations - read through them to get an idea of the writing style.
Heck - you'll be doing it in no time at all. It just takes a while to get used to it.
Good Luck & keep us posted here at AN. I frequently am asked to help people choose a nursing program & I'm really interested in your impressions of UT-A.
- 0Mar 16, '10 by sushiiThanks so much. And you are right. Everything in APA and from other sources, not my own....lol. Its just confusing to me because she will have like ten numbered questions to answer after reading a certain book. So naturally, I am thinking about answering one by one, but no.....! all APA essay form. I guese I will get used to it.
- 2May 24, '10 by ANJ286I am wondering how difficult it is to work full time (3-12's) and complete the online program through UTA. I recently graduated with my associates and landed a job in ICU. I applied to UTA mostly because it was online, required no clinicals, and I could finish my pre-requisites online DURING the program. I will do a 22 week orientation to start my job. Should I wait until I am done with it to start school again? Is working full-time and doing the UTA program online very stressful? How are you handling it? Thank you for any help you can give me!
- 0Aug 23, '10 by Mr. JoebotoQuote from powellrnPowellrn, I took this class this summer. It was quite a bit more work than I was expecting but it was totally doable. Follow all instructions very closely, cite as many references as you can, and don't let yourself get behind. Some weeks were heavier than others so whenever I got a chance I would start the next week's assignments just to stay on top of things. I did end up with an A in the class but will say it wasn't easy. Good luck!Hey, I will be starting tech writing on Monday, does not look easy to navigate, I'm nervous, never done anything on line. I hope this will not be my first and last class, let me know how you are doing.