Traveling Nursing+Pay Scales
- 0Jan 27, '04 by ccpjanetWondering if anyone can tell me what the going rate is for Traveling Nurses - Oncology? and Infusion?
I have an opportunity for travel and I want to make sure it's enough money for being an RN with Oncology Certification.
I may have an opportunity for travel for an Infusion position as well.
- 3,819 Views
- 0While I haven't worked in a hospital in over 3 years I can direct you to a site that might give you some ballpark figures. I am a travel nurse and have never made less than $35 per hour.. I do only hemodialysis but I believe Oncology should be able to carry that rate also.
Many nurses have posted their requests for travel nurse positions and you can see what they expect..
- 0Jan 27, '04 by bagladyrn GuideWhen looking at assignments be aware that payscale depends as much on the area you are going to as your specialty. I've accepted anywhere from the high 20's to the mid 30's depending on the location, especially when I had personal reasons to go to a lower paying area. Benefits are also factored in - if you don't need them you may be able to negotiate a higher hourly rate.
- 0Don't always accept that a certain area of the country pays less.. I am working in Eastern North Carolina and making $35/hour.
The housing costs are low here so I should be getting more of the pie..
P.S. With free housing 2 BR 2 full baths, Simple IRA, free health insurance, small fee for dental, free life insurance, $700 round trip travel pay, and guaranteed hours...Every one of them...Last edit by ESRD on Jan 27, '04
- 0Jan 27, '04 by bellehillIf you are willing to go anywhere you can get higher pay rates. I agree with bagladyrn, have taken from high $20's to mid $30's depending on location. Flexibility will help you make more, however I noticed that pay rates have gone down considerably in the last three months. Hopefully they will pop up again!
- 0Jan 28, '04 by ESRDYeah,,, I figure if they need a nurse they need to pay...I don't suppose an electrician, plumber, or contractor would cut their fees??? And they make more than we do to begin with..
It's the law of supply and demand....Even if you "have" to be somewhere due to family issues or whatever doesn't mean you have to settle for less pay....
For heaven's sake and the sake of your fellow travelers don't tell your recruiter that you "have" to be there.....GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
- 1Jan 28, '04 by bagladyrn GuideNo - I don't generally advertise to the recruiter that I "have" to be in a certain place. What it means from me is that if I need to be in FL for my parents, I will accept going there, knowing that the rates are lower rather than taking a higher paying contract in another area.
I'm glad you are able to find contracts that satisfy you and pay what you need, but please don't criticize those of us who have different priorities for choosing our locations.
I also notice on the delphi forum that many of those who state they "won't take a contract for less than "X" are the same ones on there every few months complaining that "there are no contracts out there" and "the industry is drying up".
I just think that a "newbie" to travel who goes out there demanding 40 an hr./ full bene's/rental car/round trip air/and luxury accomodations is likely to be disappointed. Yes, you can sometimes get those things, but seldom all at once, and if they need to offer all that, the red flags should be going up to say "Why - is this the assignment from hell?"
- 0Jan 28, '04 by ESRDYes I have seen the whiners on TNT too.. And the reason they whine is because they stoop to taking assignments that don't pay them what they are worth...
When a nurse takes an assignment that pays lower than what she is worth she undermines the whole travel nurse industry.
BTW I never said $40/hr.. And look at Medical Staffing Partners they give it all...$35/ and car rental..
I am telling a newbie not to be taken... To stand for themselves and all the rest of us... I presume you are a travel nurse.
I have refused assignments and gotten what I wanted from another assignment with the same company.
If you truely want to help a newbie tell them how to play the game to their advantage not to settle..
What other occupation can we got where we need to be..Many can't but that doesn't mean we have to settle..And I see $35 for FLA now on Delphi...So please don't say it can't be done.