Travel nursing and relationships..How do you make it work?
- 1May 2, '12 by LunalitsaSo I have finally reached this long coming dream called travel nursing, but now Im 26 years old and in a 8 year serious committed relationship..Just finished my BSN, got my 2 and half years nursing experience and ready to travel oh and no kids, no house, still renting..Whats holding me back? The longterm boyfriend who wants a family soon and is thinking this long distance thing might not work and isnt crazy about the idea of me going..So what do I do? Do I stay in my home town get married, buy house and have kids (the idea frightens me) or do I still do me, have fun and embark on my dream of travel nursing? What a risky dillema huh? Well I have been wanting to do travel nursing since I was in high school and always said I would never let a man stop me from this..I just want to experience it for a little while, get this out of my system and not have any regrets in the future for not doing this, its not like Im planning on doing this forever, but I could also very well lose my future husband in this process..I definitely think Im still going to do it (like in about 3 months) but I feel so crazy about it now that its getting closer! Its really scary and nervewracking but bittersweet feeling at the same time..You know? Oh and doesnt help that I will be traveling alone, leaving everyone and everything I know behind and going to a strange new city..My best friend was suppose to do this with me for years, up until recently when she decided to get back together with her ex-bf and wants to settle and play house..so there goes my travel buddy! Anyone else been in this type of situation? Or anyone travel nursing and still in relationship/marriage at the same time? How do you make it work? Please share your story I would love to hear from others who may have have faced this same predicament..
- 8,363 Visits
- 1May 2, '12 by sweetgurly25i say go for it. i think you would regret it if you do. i am in the same boat but now bf to hold me back just fam. i want to do this for me for once i am so unhappy where i am. i feel like its something you have always wanted to do--go for it. life is too short
- 0May 2, '12 by LunalitsaSweetgurly thanks for the response! Yes I agree with you, I mean worse case scenario you do one assignment then go back home you know? I am almost 100% sure that I would regret it too if I did not do it..And like you said Im so bored and over my hometown! Im just ready to experience life in a new city..When are starting traveling? Are you doing it solo as well?
- 0May 2, '12 by nyteshadeI traveled but my husband came with me with 100% support, so I can't help you in the relationship department. I can't tell you what you should do, but it really seems like you want to travel more than anything. Travel nursing is fun, but can be highly stressful in more ways than one as well so I hope you have a good support system.
- 0May 2, '12 by sweetgurly25hi start in 2 weeks it will be my first assignment. i know it will be hard but it will be worth it. i have always wanted to do since nursing school. every year i made excuses not to do it this year i didnt so here i am. i want to see the world so bad and see what it has to offer. it has be liberating to have a job that allows you to do that. take advantage of it.
- 0May 3, '12 by ArgoI would do it. If you guys are meant to be, he will come and you can continue together in life. You will end up regretting not going and resent it... I'm on the road now but in a different way. I'm taking staff jobs with sign on or moving contacts for 1-2 years at a time. My wife and son came and love the life.
- 0May 3, '12 by ERRNinMI8 years is a long time, but you are not married, and have no kids, and this is the perfect time to do it. If it has been a dream then go for it. Look at it as you are going for 3 months, (you won't realize how fast that goes by until you do it) - try it out, see how you like it. Skype with your man (not the same, but better than nothing!) If you like it and continue then have a conversation about your future together. No one, a man, parents, etc should hold you back from your dreams and life experiences. I've been traveling for six months and have had more life experiences and awesome times than I have had in the last 5 years. It was the best decision I have made and I have NO regrets what so ever.
- 0May 3, '12 by StrawberrykoolYour young and in love. I do it myself and I have 3 children. If you don't travel you will regret it. Also if he sees that this is your passion he will understand and you guys will work thru it. Also if your as serious about traveling, you won't be able to do it and stop. The money and experience is wonderful
- 0May 3, '12 by angelalalaQuote from StrawberrykoolDo you take your kids with you? I'm wondering about doing this myself with 1 kiddo (he's in kindergarten). I don't own a home, so we're not "stuck" anywhere, but I also don't want him to have to switch schools every 6 months or whatever.Your young and in love. I do it myself and I have 3 children. If you don't travel you will regret it. Also if he sees that this is your passion he will understand and you guys will work thru it. Also if your as serious about traveling, you won't be able to do it and stop. The money and experience is wonderful