Travel nursing with kids alongRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Travel nursing with kids along in Travel Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... Does anyone have any experience with doing travel nursing with a child tagging along? My son is 13...by BETSRN Oct 11, '03Does anyone have any experience with doing travel nursing with a child tagging along? My son is 13 (I am divorced) and I would consider it for a summer, but it would mean a complete change of life for me (leaving a job after 15 years)
I just didn't know if somethuing like this would even be possible.
I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this idea.
Thanks in advance.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=46620©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,853 Views
- Oct 16, '03 by mitchsmomI'm a nursing student & would like to consider travelling when I'm ready. My husband would take a turn with the kids for a while and probably homeschool them. Would love to hear any feedback!
- Oct 16, '03 by Brownms46I traveled with my daughter when she was enterinig the 9th grade. I was in S. C., and I wasn't pleased with the school system where we were. I found out that in S. C., they're pro Homeschooling, and were very helpful in helping me set up a program for my daughter. They helped me fill out the paperwork, and I was approved with no hassle. I had to submit a resume, and they pointed me toward a Homeschooling Assoc. And the Assoc, pointed me to where I could get books cheaply, and materials.
This was a good thing in my view, as I think this led to my daugher and I becoming very close! I also hooked up with some parents and got my daughter into a bowling league, to help with her making friends, and enteracting with other kids her age. She exceled at bowling, and was awarded a scholarship. I also got her in a local church, where they had a strong youth group. This led to trips to Disney World, and sking in VA.
It also helped me not to have to worry about her having companionship while I worked. This was a win win situation for us both. She now is finishing up her last year on a distance learning program, and is straight A student in Business Management.
There is much more help out there for home schoolers then when I started. When I started home schoolers were still fighting for the right to be recognzied, and some parents where having the fight their school districts. Thankfully that is not true for the most part anymore.
- Oct 17, '03 by NurseBenzI asked the same question awhile back and didn't get a response but what I have ended up doing is hiring a nanny and she is going to travel with me and take care of my 2 year old since I felt very uncomfortable trying to find day/evening care in an unknown area. Crossing my fingers that it will work out.
I wouldn't even think twice of taking a 13 year old, I bet he would love it...just plan fun things to do on your days off with him. Good luck!
- Jan 29, '04 by FerretHi All,
I'm married to a non-nurse with two kids, 2, & 3 years old. Does anyone have any idea if any agencies help with travel nursing families (accompanied contracts)?
Thanks in advance.
- Feb 1, '04 by suzanne4Yes, there are many agencies that do. BUT you must complete the Visa Screen Certificate first before you will be considered.
Please PM me for more details.