Health insurance for family while travelingRegister Today!
- by ckelley03 Mar 20, '12My husband and I are considering travel nursing again. We did it from 2005-2007 and had a great time. We want to set out again, but this time we have a three year old daughter who will be with us. My husband is planning on staying at home with her, so daycare won't be an issue. But I'm not sure what to do for health insurance. My company (Cross Country Trav Corp) is really expensive for family plans and not that great. I was thinking about signing up for short term health insurance for the family and using our tax home as the address. But I'm not sure if there will be a problem down the road when we have to find a doctor in a different state. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what they have done for insurance? Thanks in advance!
- Mar 21, '12 by 79TangoI would look into getting a private policy for your family. You should be able to get a good name-brand policy for $600-800/month, which is much better than the $1000/mosts travel agencies cost.
Not to mention, if the contract gets terminated or you hate the assignment, you are not stuck somewhere or without coverage.
- Mar 23, '12 by ChiBearsGirlTango or others, can you suggest a private company to go with? I have noticed the cost of insurance through travel companies is usually pretty expensive. I asked an agency what happens if I need emergency surgery or fracture a bone during the assignment, making me unable to work. The way he answered in such a vague way suggested I may be left high and dry without insurance and of course without earning any wages.
- Mar 26, '12 by 79TangoANY of the big insurance companies (Blue Cross, United) have what you are looking for. You should be able to get a quote from thier website. Aflac also has a suplemental policy for work related injuries.
- Apr 25, '12 by krijay1976I know it's been awhile since you posted this but I have an answer for you. I recently spoke to a recruiter from a different company then mine. She gave me the name and number of a lady that is an insurance broker that she sends her travelers to because they are cheaper and have better plans than the agency. The website is www.getinsured.com. If anyone needs the specific lady's name and number just PM me and I'll get it to you.
- Sep 20, '12 by pope2624krijay1976-
sorry, i don't know how to send you a message!! i'm new to this forum....could you let me know the lady's specifics you are offering!? thanks a bunch!!