i live and work in bakersfield, california and if i were to rate my life here compared to oakland, california i'd give it a 6 out of a possible 10.
here are the negatives
1. air quality..the worst in the nation.
2. abyssmally hot during the summer months...triple digit temperatures lasting weeks. check out the trends on the net!
3. commuting a big hassle. no logical planning of roadways (too much traffic and no place to go!) and housing expansion booming,icreasing the smog problem.
4. materialistic cultural values: my house is bigger than yours and so is my suv...so what!!!?
5. ignorance of general public regarding healthy lifestyle. lack of exercise, meth habits, drinking hagits galor, poor food choices, worst illiteracy rate in the state. nurses fight an uphill battle to educate these folks.
6. hardly anyone commutes here by bicycle. only the poor and undereducated ride on the wrong side of the street, on the sidewalk and in the wrong direction.
7. libraries that charge a lot for videos and books and have no grace periods. perpetuating the problem with illiteracy!!!
8. republicans galor and intolerance of another world view other than their own. lol
9. nothing culturally to do here! other than mall shopping, eating at a restaurant, and walking the dogs at the park or going a country music dance. this is a wannabee texas town that comes no where nears close.
10. gang problems and murders every night on the news...violence is not diminishing only growing.
11. cal state bakersfield nursing school
. all white teaching staff and just plain mean.
1. the hospital i work at sjch and the terrific night nurses on the telefloor.
2. beautiful westchester neighborhood i live in east of the 99! nice and quiet.
3. living close to the kern river bike path.
4. close to the mountains to enjoy clean air within an hours drive.
5. great personable and intelligent coworkers ;-)
6. the winter months are special. not too cool; and spring can be beautiful too but only lasts a few weeks till the baketown heat kicks up its might hot coal rear hoof!
7. picking up the l.a. times on the corner. the local paper the bakersfield californian
riddled with errors and poorly written.
8 bakersfield college nursing school. diverse teaching staff and just plain nice!