Do children's hospitals hire?Register Today!
- by umcRN Aug 6, '12Hello all,
I am considering traveling, probably starting next year. I was wondering how many children's hospitals hire travelers these days? I know the children's hospital I work in now does but not sure how common that is. I have NICU and Peds CICU experience primarily (2 years of each) but during my three (and by next year four) years at this hospital have floated to PICU enough times to feel comfortable working in one. I would be looking for jobs primarily in these areas (since that is the only experience I have). I know most hospitals have NICU's but as far as the other two those are primarily in children's hospitals so I was wondering if I would be able to find decent placements. I am looking primarily at going to Philly, Chicago, Colorado and Northern California/San Francisco area.
Any of your experiences would be appreciated!
- Aug 7, '12 by NedRNYes, children's hospitals definitely hire travelers. For the SF Bay area, Lucille Packard uses tons of travelers (part of Stanford). You didn't mention DC, but Children's National Medical Center certainly used to use a lot of travelers too. So did Cincinnati Children's.
- Aug 7, '12 by umcRNQuote from NedRNI work at CNMC, hehe meeting lots of travelers who have helped fuel my desire to do this but someone had mentioned to me that other children's hospitals might be slowing down in their hiring of travelers so I wanted to ask more people that were out there (because we have a lot of travelers turned staff who are mostly the ones I've talked to)Yes, children's hospitals definitely hire travelers. For the SF Bay area, Lucille Packard uses tons of travelers (part of Stanford). You didn't mention DC, but Children's National Medical Center certainly used to use a lot of travelers too. So did Cincinnati Children's.
Thanks for the info on the other hospitals though!
- Dec 1, '12 by patience89umcRN, unfortunately, I am unable to send a PM because i do not have enough topics. I would like to know more about the NICU at CNMC, could you please PM me to tell me more about the unit!
- Mar 9 by DavidNurseEMTOn contract at Rady Children's Hospital (San Diego) now. When I oriented at the beginning of the year, there were approx 30 travelers starting. ER/PICU/NICU and Med-Surg.