Pre-Nursing Collin CollegeRegister Today!
- by TakinItOneDayatATime Jun 3, '11I recently decided that I want to go to nursing school. I say recently, but the fact of the matter is that it's what I've wanted to do for a long time. I took classes in high school to help prepare me for the medical field, and when I first enrolled at a university, I was a pre-nursing major.
To make a long story short, I got burned out on school, quit going, got married, started a family, and all that jazz. I started going back to school a year ago as an English major, but there was something at the back of my mind bothering me because I knew I still wanted to be a nurse.
Luckily for me, the Collin College is just a hop, skip and a jump away from me, and they offer a nursing program that seems to be a really good program. I'm going to start on my pre-reqs this fall, and I was wondering if any of you who have applied or are currently enrolled in the program have any advice.
I've looked through tons of threads, and I see people saying that it's hard; that they love it; that they heard the director is really mean; that it's impossible to get accepted.
I'd really appreciate some input from people that have actually "been there and done that" recently.
- Jun 5, '11 by not.done.yetMy advice would be to make excellent grades, make sure you understand the requirements to apply, get your application in on time, don't listen to the naysayers or the doom and gloomers and don't let how many other people in your pre-req's who have the same goal as you intimidate you.
Yes, it is hard to get in. No the director is not the dragon lady. Yes the program is hard. Yes it is well respected. Yes, you WILL work your butt off.
Best of luck. It is difficult to get in but not impossible. Make the grades, do well on the PSB and your chances go way up. Good luck.
- Jun 6, '11 by adf96I am starting this fall in the program, so I don't have any advice for once you are there...but getting there, yes. This fall, they will offer a few information sessions in the evenings on campus...watch for the dates and go to one!! It was very informative when I attended and they talk about getting in and give some basic information about what the program is like.
As far as people in class with you, I have made some great friends along the way. Technically, we were in competition for spots, but I never thought of it that way. We worked together and I am excited some of them will be in class with me this fall. Work hard, make the grades and you will be there before you know it!!
- Jun 20, '11 by question?Hey I am going there now and remember when i came to this site to see if i could get any advice. I'm pretty sure that most people in my class had all A's in pre-reqs and maybe a few B's...I had all A's and made 5 points on the PSB, so I got in with 15 points not the full 16 if I remember right. Also I was still enrolled in statistics when I applied, so it is ok to apply if you are still taking a pre-req. It is not impossible to get in, you can do it! As far as the program goes it is alot of hard work, but it is totally do-able. There is more reading than I had ever imagined, but everyone in my class is really supportive of eachother because it is no longer a competition to get into the program. I really love it. Good luck!
- Jun 24, '11 by just3ofusGet A's, dont' listen to anyone's flack.