Job Outlook in Dallas?
- 0May 16, '12 by MillerRNI'm looking into relocating from the Denver area to Dallas.
I'm a new RN-BSN with only 6 months experience as a correctional nurse. I also have 3 years hospital experience as a CNA.
So my question is how likely is it that I will get a job quickly in a hospital? Trying to get a hospital job in Colorado is horrible.... =(
- 0May 16, '12 by not.done.yet GuideNot likely to be quick at all. New graduates with less than a year or two of experience are commonly only considered for hire within the internships that hospitals offer. Those come twice a year. The next round will be posted around October. Needless to say, it is very competitive.
If you are willing to move to rural Texas (more than 1.5 hours outside of any major city or along the Texas/Mexico border) there are more plentiful jobs. The urban areas are completely saturated.
- 0May 27, '12 by MillerRNSo I am pretty much SOL with getting a hospital job in the DFW area? And how can I do an internship when I graduated in May 2011 and will have been working as a RN for about 9 months when I moved to DFW? I can't move my family to rural Texas either my husband's job would be in the DFW area.
- 0May 28, '12 by jomajomaYou can still apply to internships even though you graduated last year. I have experience in research nursing and graduated last may like you. I just relocated here because of my husbands job transfer. I have been applying to internships, only had 1 interview at Parkland, but didnt get the job;(
Also, methodist charlton has med surg positions you can apply to that asks for 6 months if experience. I would call them to see if you can apply. Hope this helps...
- 0Sep 18, '12 by geekynurseRNWell I was able to get a job quite easily at least compared to Colorado...
I had a total of 7 interviews within a 2 month period and would of had more. I had canceled two interviews, turned down one interview, and canceled a 2nd interview. I got offered two jobs, one LTAC hospital and the other an internship at a acute care hospital. All of these places were in the DFW area. Three places I interviewed for were acute care hospitals, one was LTAC hospital and the others were clinics through a major hospital system.
I am taking the internship which is also a full-time job once I finish the internship and I am ecstatic!
Compare this to Colorado in which I had a total of 5 interviews in 6 months (over 200 applications filled out) and got offered 2 jobs - one in a prison and the other in a nursing home.