Hello pepper35, I am a 4th semester nursing student at Collin College set to graduate this Fall 2012. I will tell you everything I know about what you are asking. These things I am telling you is what many of us figured out along the way and after many semesters of hearing things I have put this together. This is my personal opinion, but I would bet on it too.
1. You must make a PSB score of 5 or 6 or you might as well look elsewhere. Nobody gets in with 4 or less.
2. Your overall score must be a 14 or higher. 13 havent gotten in for years now. One semester there were 15s that didnt get in. The Fall semester is the most competitive to get in with the spring being the easier one. The fall semester has 10 additional students from the Grow your own program.
3. Extra hidden points. If you are a 14 overall with a 5 or higher PSB and have gotten wait listed, the easiest things to do are to take nurtrition, and chemistry 1405 or 1411. After that you need to consider retaking your prereqs to boost them to A's.
4. If you have 16 points your are in easily.
5. If you have 15 points your most likely in (only one semester some didnt).
6. If you have 14, this is usually the cutoff. 14 is where the tiebreakers occur.
Tiebreakers are the following:
a. Did you take nutrition and chemistry?
b. Are all your other classes for the nursing degree done?
c. Do you have a degree already?
d. Did you retake any classes (you would loose tiebreaks if you are a yes; if you retake classes it better get you to a 15 or 16 or you are doomed.)
e. Are you a collin county resident?
You will find out about September 15 of whether you get in or not. If you don't get in regardless of how many points you had, you are waitlisted.
Waitlisted people do get picked up, but not many.
And yes you can get into the program with only 2 prereqs done. Somebody in my class only took AP1 and stats and got in without having AP2 or Micro because they scored perfect on everything else. Of course they were taking AP2 in progress and took Micro before nursing school
started. You must have all prereqs done at time that your respective semester starts.
Fall class starts with 58 people.
Spring with 48 people.
3rd semester and 2nd semester add about 6-8 bridge(lvn/paramedics) students.
About half of my class got in with only 14 points.